Like a rat in a Labyrinth.

Post here with tales of your in-game adventures, as well as any special events, quests, or invasions.
Isoyami
Experienced Adventurer

Like a rat in a Labyrinth.

Postby Isoyami » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:41 am

Early yesterday, I awoke to do some training in the Desert Tombs, I had barely shaken the sleep from my limbs when I heard the Crier call that an adventurer had been kidnapped by Balthazar! The old nightmare had awoken again, and the Demon Lord was on the move. I immediately got messages from concerned friends asking if I was alright, and I told them I was. Iron Knight Hojo told me it would be better not to wander out in the wilderness and I agreed, and immediately returned to the Dundee Inn. Word came that the warrior Auda was taken, and the several adventurers who had gathered in the Inn all shuddered. I had just spoken to agree with Hojo’s thought that it was not safe to go alone, when I felt a rush of blackness, and in an instant the Inn was gone! I opened my eyes to find myself trapped in the demon Labyrinth.

I had an immediate flashback to the time, ages ago, I was a young adventurer, and I had heard of others being kidnapped into the nightmarish maze, some barely escaping with their lives and some not so lucky at all.

I awoke to hear the Demon Lord’s foul laughter, saying that he had already sent the essence of one adventurer back to the Life Monument, and it was all too easy. I dropped to my knees, shaking in fear, I do not deny it. I closed my eyes and took a slow breath, centering my mind and praying to Ben and Cory for their strength and protection. I was here now, and the only way out was forward. I resolved to live, and kill as many of the foul demons as I could, both for Auda and the rest of the adventurers still out of harm’s way. With my mantra of: 'I fear no demon, for Ben is my strength; I fear not death, for Cory is my shield' still on my lips, I stood, and lifting my Holy Broadsword, I swore that I would not fall so easily.

Looking around, I could see that I was in the beginning of the labyrinth, the walls were the dark color of a moonless night, and I could feel the foul demon magic mocking my senses, the very walls themselves seemed to writhe inwards and outwards, moving from side to side to confound and confuse the unlucky trapped adventurer.

Moving forward, I was confronted by a demon assault trooper, eyes glowing red and mouth hisses curses, my own lips parting in a snarl as I closed with my foe and slew him easily, I had fought and defeated similar troopers before, and knew their tactics well. Once again I gave thanks to my new level and my sturdier Templeforged armor, protecting me from demon claws and fangs with a sturdy layer of hallowed metal.

Forward and back I stepped, being cautious as I was deep in the clutches of the enemy. Around every corner leapt a new demon to do battle, but refreshing myself after every fight I was able to trade sword thrust for claw slash, it was imperative that I stayed alive. The shifting, changeable nature of the walls and corridors played tricks on my eyes more than once, several times I went in circles on a corridor that looped back on itself, thoroughly lost.

But I persevered. My mind flashed back to a previous times I was lost in the sea caves, but came to the cold realization that this was different. Instead of the natural sea caves, filled only with low level sea monsters and where a shout could bring reinforcements running, I realized I was trapped in the dark twists of the demon’s mind, all alone, and nobody could come to help no matter how I screamed.

So I stood, set my jaw, healed my wounds and pressed forward. Eventually, I found a clear passageway that seemed to lead out of the maze, inviting me onwards. At the end of the corridor I saw a large, glowing rock that sat, steady and immobile, seeming to resist the twisting mockery of the walls with its sheer solid presence. I fell to my knees in gratitude, somehow I knew I was safe.

But it was easy… too easy. The corridor up before the rock had stood relatively still, and it was free of demons, almost like it was inviting me along, to leave prematurely. But something tickled in my spirit and held me back, I felt like I could do more here. So resolutely I stood and turned, marching back into the nightmare.

My vigilance was rewarded, visiting a part of the maze I thought I had been to before, revealed a new corridor with more demons to slay: and I slew them, carefully, one at a time with a prayer before each battle and healing afterwards. Again, I hit another dead end. I spun around, only to find myself trapped in another maddening loop of twisting corridors that turned back on itself, I must have followed my own footsteps a dozen times in a circle, my sense of panic quickly rising.

It was about that time that I heard the Demon Lord’s twisted, triumphant cackle that he had indeed taken what he wanted, and it was all too easy. The little voice telling me to stay back into the maze turned into a shout to get the N’rolav out of there, and I decided it was well past time to leave.

My luck held: past what I thought was a dead end corridor I found my feet back on the path to the glowing rock and to safety, I went for it in a dead run. Ahead of me loomed the rock, blocked by one last demon Raider. Hardly checking my pace, I charged straight into the demon, using my momentum to add power to my first attack in both fury, and desperation to escape. I pressed him against the boulder with the force of my blows, the strong answering blow from the monster almost dropped me to my knees once, then again.

At the climactic moment, we both stabbed our blades deep into each others guts, our red and blue eyes glaring hate at each other and hissing the threat of death, prolonged and cruel. The raider leaned against the boulder for support as I was forced to stagger back, winded and wounded to press a healing hand to the stab in my stomach, then advance again to finish the demon. A precise strike of my broadsword severed the demon’s claw from the demon's arm, which fell clutching a sword, then a stab deep into its chest brought forth the gurgling death rattle.

Behind me the blue, tainted magic corridor was still echoing the foul lord’s booming, mocking laughter while shaking as though the entire roof was going to collapse! I took a moment to pick up and examine the gleaming, razor sharp dark sword the last monster had dropped, then slammed my hand against the glowing rock, to find myself sucked through a portal and crashing to the floor of the Dundee Inn from where I was originally taken, with a new prize to display and another tale to tell.
Last edited by Isoyami on Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Awai Isoyami - 61003
"I fear no demon, for Ben is my Strength. I fear not death, for Cory is my Shield."

Boy Svalbard
New Adventurer

Re: Like a rat in a Labyrinth.

Postby Boy Svalbard » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:37 am

8O Wow.

Thank you for sharing, Iso.

Topaz
I talk WAY too much

Re: Like a rat in a Labyrinth.

Postby Topaz » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:36 am

ISOYAMI'S SONG

Waken in the morning light;