Kaballoi's Quest - Investigating the Professions of Valorn

Post here with tales of your in-game adventures, as well as any special events, quests, or invasions.
kaballoi
Experienced Adventurer

Kaballoi's Quest - Investigating the Professions of Valorn

Postby kaballoi » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:43 pm

At the request of Lord Sarducci ah am re-posting this tale. Ma thanks!
*bows before slipping back into the shadows*

*** Kaballoi takes a scroll of parchment, a small bottle of squid ink, and one of her turkey quills, sharpening it for writing. Seated in Cerbie's she takes a moment to compose her thoughts and begins in a fine hand to pen her answers to Lord Sarducci's Quest. The following is an accounting of this quest for the Winter Knight ***

~ Kaballoi's Quest ~
( An Investigation into the Professions of Valorn by a meeting with Masters of Each: Cleric, Enchanter, Warrior and Rogue.)

I know that I am an explorer and an adventurer. I also know that I have been uncertain as to my making my way in the world. Leaving ones small village behind in the deep woods of a coastal village is much different than making ones way in the world without ties to family and homeland. To be the wife of a fisherman, woodsman, or even a pirate was something I knew I did not feel the calling for. Although it was assumed I would follow tradition and become a caretaker of hearth and home. Standing by my husband, bringing children into the world, and devoting myself to a life of humbleness and servitude.

I could not bear the idea of becoming such a woman. I have a wild heart and to be locked down would have killed my spirit. I and my sister left our home to find new lives not tied to hearth or home. But how we came to the land of Valorn is another tale for another time. But in this time and place, I now understand that I was guided by the Gods to find my true calling. Funny enough, it was not what I expected.

I must admit that I stumbled upon the Order to the Winter Knights more than I believe I was truly invited. But who can argue with opportunity? Who can argue with where the Gods decide to guide you? I believe it was fate smiling upon me when I found my good friend Alaric conversing with BlueMist. So being of an inquisitive nature and with sharp ears I listened in and first heard of the Winter Knight. The rest they say is fate...

So it was with a sense of irony (and amusement with myself) that I found myself saying yes to becoming a candidate to the Order of the Winter Knights, meeting Lord Sarducci, finding myself surrounded by a most amazing but bewildering group of individuals from all guilds and professions, and agreeing to accept Enlightenment -- whatever that might be -- and agreeing to my first quest upon the path of the Order.

So I have held this scroll given to me by Lord Sarducci with this question printed upon it in bold letters: "What made you choose your profession and why would an initiate do the same? I am to ask this of four different adventurers, of different guilds or guild-less, all of a skill level of 40 or above, and each of a different profession.

I think to myself...This will be a pleasure. I have already been asking this question of many individuals I have meet on my travels in Valorn. How hard could it be? I have yet to learn to keep my mouth shut. Mentioning that this quest would be a pleasure to Lord Sarducci brought another stipulation down upon my head: a 50 marc deadline. I am amazed that I did not run from the temple immediately to begin. Politeness, respect, and a healthy dose of being stunned kept me rooted to the floor for a few precious moments. So being gently reminded of my quest I raced out the door.

~ Interview 1. Meeting the Cleric Minevera Broudeaux

I left Milltown to travel back to Dundee intending to see if I might find someone of import at the Dundee Inn. I made my way through the Dark Forest battling bears, wolves, armadillos and occasional demon scouts. Just as I am to reach Dundee I came upon my first adventurer, Minevera Broudeaux a 49th level Cleric who is a guild member of the Amazonian Clans of Valorn, conversing with her bondmate.

Overjoyed at my finding my first interview, I introduced myself and asked if I could have a moment of Minevera's time. I was even more pleased because I had already decided that I wanted to follow the path of a cleric. What a perfect opportunity.

An exuberant and lighthearted individual with a quick smile, Minevera kindly agreed. Not wanting to sound like I was on a quest, I asked Minevera what made her decide to become a Cleric?

"For me" she said "it was about helping the new adventurers...so many helped me when I started out. I just wanted to give back."

"I love, love to help out noobies! It brings such joy to me." she said. " So...a cleric was the only choice. They can help the most."

I shared my desire to be certain about my choice of becoming a cleric. I wanted to make sure I was doing the right thing. I asked her what advice or wisdom she would give to an initiate who was considering choosing the profession of cleric.

"First let me tell you" she said "if you are (a) not noble you can only learn certain spells. Only the gold ones. The same with enchanters. I am not sure what I would do if I were not noble..ask the other professions and see what they say about not being noble."

I had not considered that I would be limited by being common, that nobility gave you advantages that others did not have. This was a bit disconcerting, but gave me a better understanding about professions.

The last bit of advice she gave me with mirth in her voice was "Patience...It takes allot of it to get your blessings...choose a good sponsor...and always call me (Minevera) for help!"

With thanks, and the gift of a feather for luck and protection to Minevera, I hurried on my way to Dundee soon to meet with my next adventurer.

~ Interview 2. Encountering Shadow Ryder Enchanter Extraordinaire

Stopping in the street outside of the Dundee Inn. It suddenly occurred to me that there might be a better way to find individuals to interview. I knew that Dundee Inn was a good source to find people...but it tends to get crowded and noisy...so considering my skills and abilities so far...I focused my mind to speak directly with an enchanter I had already meet. I sent out my thoughts and asked Shadow Ryder if I might have a few moments of his time to answer some questions.

To my great pleasure Shadow responded without delay and graciously agreed to answer my questions, which was not surprising him being a master Enchanter of level 60 and an Officer of the Remnants of Kimald guild.

"I decided that I would like to cast spell and Poof around the land." he said "I am happy with my choice, but it required far more patience than I imagined when I started."

I found that a theme of patience seemed to be emerging in my interviews. I also told him that I was leaning towards becoming a cleric, but was still uncertain in my heart.

"There are good and bad points with each profession," he continued "the bad for enchanters, is it is more expensive, our gear costs more and we need both kinds of potions. Our armor is not as good. The good is we can rejuvenate clerics, our spells offset the armor and weapon weakness. and we can travel very fast all over Valorn. and we have our own banker. The hardest thing is to get all of your spells.. you have to resist leveling at several points to get them all. That is where the patience comes in." (again that word patience...ack!) "We can also go to a place no other profession can go , the nexus, a small but interesting place."

How interesting. The thought of popping around Valorn appeals to me, but that is because I have a tendency to not want to walk long distances. But I was curious about the Nexus and asked him to elaborate as well as to comment on how being a noble affects your ability as an enchanter.

"Nobility is almost a must." said Shadow. "Without, you can only get gold spells, not orange or red or blue. I actually was non noble when I became an enchanter and got my nobility a short time later."

About the Nexus..."There are only 3 rooms." he explained "the center is the arrival area, the north is the outgoing portals and the south has a banker and merchant that sell very specific enchanter things no one else does." I equated this with the rogue tunnels and he agreed.

Lastly I asked him what he would recommend about becoming an enchanter...any last wisdom or advice. He said,
"You get the privilege of hanging out with enchanters that are great folks.... like me!" and then he laughed.

Ah, I thought, behind all that wild hair and beard is a keen wit and humor. In thanks I gifted him a small bottle of squid ink and two of my best turkey writing quills. He was very pleased with the quills and acknowledged that he has a bit of a sense of humor that he often does not show. It might not show, but much to my surprise and amusement, I found that I was a victim of a certain enchanters' stealth spell casting. Deep in thought I did not notice until to late I was glowing bright as a glow bug. It was only a bit of a red robe I witnessed slipping through a portal vortex that alerted me. But I have my suspicions, having seen a similar robe adorn Shadow as he relaxed in the Dundee Inn.

~ Interview 3. A bit of advice from Noble Lord Oren Vaultbreaker, Warrior

Pleased with myself and my quick thinking to contact Shadow. I again checked my memory to see if I had meet any esteemed warriors and rogues in my travels. I had, but the warriors were not skilled enough and the rogues were not answering my polite requests. Taking another tactic I decided to check the town signs heralding the achievements of the most active and current adventurers in Valorn.

One warrior stood out among the crowd (crosses out that he was the only one there at the time). Noble Lord Oren Vaultbreaker, a 50th level warrior and Officer of the Shadow Asylum. I had never meet Lord Oren before and felt a bit intimidated to contact him. But not wanting to fail myself I boldly, but politely, greeted Lord Oren and asked for his advice. I explained that I was leaning towards being a cleric, but that I wanted another perspective to make sure that I was making the best choice for myself.

In a deep, booming, no-nonsense voice he replied, "Both are honorable professions, lass...This decision will be the most important decision ye make whilst in Valorn. I shall not try and persuade you to either career, but state the facts as they are.

First the cleric. Upon becoming a cleric you have the ability to heal thyself and others with your healing touch. You use power potions and generally not healing potions. Quite a big deal seeing how p-potions cost half as much as h-pots. Quite an economical savings. The clerics can wear good armor and have good weapons. They also have a special ring they can heal themselves when bleeding.

Down side: Spell casters much hunt crystal guardians and find glowing crystals to find their blessings/enchantments. This process can take some extra time depending on your luck of find glowing crystals. Not necessarily a bad thing but must be done."

Without pause he continued " Warriors: Warriors wear the best armor, use the best weapon and have the ability to use a critical strike. This does upwards of three times the normal damage. The can make salves from salve kits to stop bleeding.

Down side: They use h-pots exclusively which cost twice as much as p-pots. They have no use of power pots. They must walk everywhere just like clerics."

In summary he stated:

"Warrior: Best Armor/weapon/critical hit/salves. Cleric: Healing/good armor/weapon/inexpensive p-pots/must crystal hunt."

With that he wished me good luck and said to contact him again if I had any additional questions. Not quite the interview I expected but valuable nonetheless.

~ Interview 4. In pursuit of the elusive Master Rogue

** DAY #1 **
I was still considering my choice as a cleric, but not happy that I did not feel at ease yet with my decision. Having had three interviews in the space of 14 marcs I was please but tired. I checked my notes again as well as my messages to see if any of the master rogues I had contacted had responded. Disappointed I found none.

Returning to Dundee Inn I began my search again to see if a master rogue was taking a bit of ale and a rest. Thorin the Dainty, whom I had often seen resting there was absent. My call out to Skils Gannon was a bust...but I noticed that his ale mug was empty. I was checking the posting but finding only less experienced rogues. Taking a moment to stretch I noticed a gentleman name Mazad, whom I had meet before, leave the inn. I realized that he was a master rogue with the guild GOLD, so I quickly dashed from my seat and followed in hot pursuit. I called out to him, but he did not hear me. I chased him into the castle and just missed him as he had entered a trapdoor in the floor and disappeared.

Hands on my hips in frustration I scowled at the trapdoor then left to return to Dundee Inn.

Again I sat and began reading the stats boards. Much to my delight I came across a Lady Mellena. Quite a lady with a high status, a skill level of 56, and a member of the Alliance of Valorian Explorers. Much impressed I sent a message to her. Another I found was Lucy, an Officer of The Kindred Circle with a quite impressive skill level of 58. I sent her a message as well.

I trudged to Dundee Inn and found a seat. Deep as it was in the night, it was rather empty. I was very tired by this time...frustrated with no one responding to my very polite requests for a moment of their time. Rogues were turning out to be as elusive as I heard they could be. I found it ironic that most times I had been coming to Dundee Inn it seemed to be overflowing with the stealthy professionals, but as soon as I need one...*poof*...they are all absent. I finally gave in to my fatigue and promptly feel asleep.

** DAY #2 **
Awakening refreshed I perused the Dundee Inn to see if anyone had come in while I was asleep. No one was there. I checked my messages...but there was nothing. Not to be deterred I decided to try another tactic. Going to the home boards I saw that Odin Rothgar was out and about. Having found him quite helpful in the past I asked him if he would be so kind as to introduce me to a master rogue as I was nearing my decision to take my profession. He agreed and said that he would introduce me to Chade. Odin said at the time that Chade was not about, but that when he was he would meet with me in the guild hall of the Shadow Asylum in Dundee.

I did not know at the time that Chade was the Leader of the Shadow Asylum, that he was level 60, and that Lord Oren was a member of his guild. So as I waited I joined my friend Alaric and began training again as I was only 5% away from leveling to 14th.

I was in Milltown when Odin contacted me and told me that Chade was at the guild hall...so yet again I found myself wading through bears, wolves, armadillos, and lesser demons on my way back to Dundee.

Upon arriving Odin graciously brought me into the Guild Hall and introduced me to Chade Fallstar. From there I must say that my memory is a bit hazy. I was overwhelmed by the charisma and generosity of Chade's willingness to speak with me. Surprisingly I felt quite comfortable in the Master Rogues presence...not intimidated at all. I immediately dove in and began my interview.

"So I hear tell you are interested in what each profession has to offer, more pointedly the rogue profession?" asked Chade smiling and smoothing his clothes.

I answered yes, of cource, but explained about my first choice of becoming a cleric. I explained that I had a tendency to bleed a bit, that I desired to help my friends. That becoming a cleric was more a practical choice than anything else.

Chade then explained much of what I had heard already...being able to heal others and oneself, that it saved you money being half the cost of power potions, wearing armour and such...becoming a cleric. What I found myself doing was looking within myself as he talked. I told him, "I have a tendency for mischief and mayhem...but on the mild side...and am extremely curious by nature."

He smiled at me and winked, "Well that curiosity will never be satisfied as a cleric...a cleric is often very busy helping others vs. helping themselves...there is a machine under the wall in the desert that will convert glowing crystals from guardians into scrolls that can do things like upgrade your weapon, reset your deaths and even grant extra stats."

He also said "I hated with all my heart the idea of wasting glowing crystals on blessings or spells when i could turn them in for scrolls of great value..."

Cutting through the conversation he finally said, "Let me ask you something... would you rather be able to teleport to a life marker, open any door or chest to see what's beyond, bless yourself as often as you like or chop down enemies with a single blow?"

I had no desire to chop enemies with a single blow...that was out. I liked the idea of popping around, but that was more because I have a tendency to be a bit lazy; knowing that the rogue tunnels were short cuts was helpful. And constantly being at the beck and call of everyone for healing was not what I had been thinking about when becoming a cleric (or an enchanter).

Suddenly I began to understand the importance of this quest for enlightenment. As he talked (this is where I became distracted and lost the train of what he was saying) I realized that I had to look within and see myself and my own nature before I could make the important decision. When I told him this a huge grin came across his face..."exactly!!" he agreed.

It was then that I put all the clues that had been staring me in the face together: I am irreverent by nature with a mischievous streak a mile wide (not something I could see myself being able to be as a cleric). I am intensely curious. I want to see what is beyond every locked door and in every locked treasure box. That I find it great fun to sneak items upon peoples persons, rather more than removing them at the moment, and always finding new ways of stealthily doing so. I love freedom...the freedom to come and go as I please, without an over restrictive set of responsibilities. I realized that I could still be loyal, kind, and of great assistance when called upon. I could gift others of my time, plat and experience when I could...but without being tied down.

Suddenly my uncertainty vanished and a smile filled my heart. I realized that I was a rogue at heart...even with the intense desire to heal/help others (including those poor trampled bunnies in Dundee). I was no longer uncertain even though Chade suggested I think upon my decision. I felt free...knowing who and what I was.

Chade smiled at me and said "sounds like you lean to the rogue." And I knew that it was true. He then gifted me with a lockpick, a small black cloth bag, and a mug of ale; all important items to rogues universally it would seem. He took his leave in a very dramatic sweep of his Ultimate Weapon vanishing into a swirl of red light. The last bit of advice I heard coming from the deep shadows was "remember, a rogue always has a trick or two up his/her sleeve."

And I am sure that he will be most pleased to find the feather I slipped in his boot, unbeknownst to him, when he was making such a fine and dramatic exit. It never hurts to have a trick or three in places other than your sleeves.

Suddenly pleased and exhausted I left the Shadow Asylum guild hall and made my way to Cerbie's. My friend Alaric soon after joined me and over drinks we shared our adventures. More tired than I Alaric soon was asleep in his chair. I have been up these long hours quietly writing this parchment, watching him sleep, and being most careful not to spill any ink as I am running a bit low.

And so it would seem, despite myself, I have found enlightenment...a gift greater than any plat...understanding.

*** Kaballoi signs the scroll with a grand "K" and a small dagger like feather. Letting the scroll dry she carefully puts away her quill and remaining ink. Looks with a smile at the lockpick next to her mug of ale, and gently rolls the scroll into a tube fastening it with a bit of green ribbon and a small deep green duck feather. Pleased with herself she leaves for a short time to post her reply to Lord Sarducci. Returning, she beds down in a chair next to her friend in Cerbies, and falls asleep with a smile on her face and a firm hand upon her purse strings.***

Last edited by kaballoi on Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kaballoi
http://www.darkgrimoire.com/cshow93482.html
......................................................................................................................
Accomplished at something. Not sure what.

KenjMurmota
New Adventurer

Re: Kaballoi's Quest - Investigating the Professions of Valorn

Postby KenjMurmota » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:10 am

Incredible tale! ..Takes my hat off to you.. I did not have the means to explore the professions like you did and honestly was kinda forced to be a enchanter for the portal walking infinitly quicker with my phone.
Kenj Murmota-173295

Lavender
Social Leech

Postby Lavender » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:47 am

*smiles thinking back to her own time as an innate* each proffecion has is quallities and each innate must in their own time deside what is right for them. Some make the right choice right off and are happy always, while others may find later on that the want something elce. That was the way it was for me, I chose when I first came to Valorn that I would be a healer I had a friend at the time that was one and she got me into my proffecion quite quickly. But then I found that for me it was a burden, I love being with people but being costantly bugged for blessings (which at the time I had none) I found slightly annoying expecually when I was out training. So when an accident accured and I found myself starting all over again I desided that that route was not for me again, so that brought my desision down to three, I desided pretty much right off that I was not the caster of spells type so enchanter was out. So with my two choises I set out to find out what I could about both. I found that a warrior (which was the one I was really considering at the time) I could use the best weapons and armor and I love to be out fighting so that sounded wonderful. But I still was unsure then I met a rogue (in every meaning of the word) and he told me right off that he thought I would make a wonderful rogue, and at the time I found that locked doors where making me madder then any beast ever has. So he told me all about unlocking doors, opening chest, and being able to use the tunnels under Valorn, that peaking my interest greatly. And with him as my mentor I chose that proffesion. I love knowing what is on the other side of a locked door and knowing what is in a locked chest makes me giddy! And although he accuses me of not living up to the sneekyness and slyness that most rogues are known for I found that being a rogue was MY true calling.
Lavender
Kindness is more important than wisdom, and the recognition of this
is the beginning of wisdom. –Theodore Issac Rubin.
It takes courage to be kind. - Maya Angelou.

KenjMurmota
New Adventurer

Postby KenjMurmota » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:31 am

Granted i like being a enchanter and all. But Iam starting to have doubts for some reason and think the only reason i done it was for the challenge and the fact i could move quicker face it when it takes about a minute to move you want all the help you can get. And i did not realize that you had to have nobility to get the other spells besides the gold. That puts me at a bad situation even tho i already got two spells the enchant sword to mystic blade and then the dex boost. This story started to put some doubts in my head tho..
Kenj Murmota-173295

Lavender
Social Leech

Postby Lavender » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:31 pm

Every proffesion has it's perks with nobility just part of the reasion people pay for nobility and that helps the gods keep our beloved Valorn alive.
Lavender
Kindness is more important than wisdom, and the recognition of this
is the beginning of wisdom. –Theodore Issac Rubin.
It takes courage to be kind. - Maya Angelou.

kaballoi
Experienced Adventurer

Postby kaballoi » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:25 am

I have not once regretted my choice of becoming a rogue. I still believe that each initiate must search within themselves to find their true heart and nature. Only doing this will give the adventurer true contentment in their profession, and on their chosen life's path. Sometimes even individuals who have spent their whole lives in one profession discover a different calling. One such person is Korba the Faithful. If you ever have the opportunity ask him his tale.

Fair Fortunes to All!!!

~ K
Kaballoi
http://www.darkgrimoire.com/cshow93482.html
......................................................................................................................
Accomplished at something. Not sure what.

Return to “Tales of Adventure”