Apathy and the Almanac

Come here to tell your tales and meet with others. (In-character talk only)
Talisk
New Adventurer

Postby Talisk » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:58 am

Urkki wrote:I've seen her copy and I can assure you it's not some magical book that actually helps you with hunting.

Aye, I've never used a cookbook to cut an apple, but the book did help me bake the pie.

Wold that this conversation were worth another word. If t'was, I'd say, "Enough."

Be well,

Tal
8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) Never, ever, panic. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Talisk
New Adventurer

Postby Talisk » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:07 am

Dear Jezzara;

My reflexes in the Inn during the "Night of Lost Tempers" did serve me. And good on you for making amends with the Inn keeper.

A meeting to discuss Almanac Madness is well advised. Meeting in an open area, I believe, is also advised. Time and place to be determined.

Tho I would never ask a warrior to come unprepared for battle, your terms are accepted. I will find something special to wear, myself.

I am especially interested in what you have to say, given your proclivity for propaganda that most call the Hunter's Almanac.

No doubts exist regarding our abilities to get past this misunderstanding. Excellent well.

Yours as always,

Tal

JezzTheWarrior
Adventurer

Postby JezzTheWarrior » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:20 pm

Dear Talisk,

Very well. I will come unarmed and unarmoured so that you can see it is not my intent to do you any harm. But trust that I will not come unprepared. For what is the struggle between the light of knowledge and the darkness of ignorance if not a battle fought in the heart and in the mind?

I will reserve any further rhetoric for our meeting and pray to the Gods that you will come with your heart and mind open.

Sincerely yours,

Jezzara

Talisk
New Adventurer

Postby Talisk » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:50 am

Sreip, your response is comprehensive as usual. And indeed, it brought back many memories.

However, do you, or anyone reading this post, believe the Gods created the Quests to either:

A. test our skills, build our resourcefulness, and develop our pride as adventurers, or

B. enable a team to write a tell-all account that speeds prize acquisition with minimal effort?

Is the easy way the best way?

Does the HA teach responsibility or foster a ho-hum approach to adventure?

As always,

Tal

superduck
I talk WAY too much

Postby superduck » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:21 am

Gods creating quests? Are you sure you are feeling well, Talisk? You do not speak with gods about quests, but to the local blacksmith....

Thorin the Dainty.

As it says to the left......I talk WAY too much. ;)
And yes, I am fully aware that currently it says so to the right, rather than the left, which used to be the location for said line, but I am simply too lazy to change it for you.

Kalea
New Adventurer

Postby Kalea » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:46 pm

I apologize for my delay in explaining in further detail what I rather expressed tersely shortly thereafter Talisk posted this current discussion. I think if I had, this topic’s length might be a bit shorter and perhaps a bit less confrontational towards Talisk.

I think given my history with the Hunter’s Almanac, I think I might add a different prospective than what is currently being voiced. Over two years ago, Cerb and I, along with a few other bunny and non-bunny industrious helpers went about completing and filling in the Hunter’s Almanac. A lot of time and energy went into it, and I must say a lot of pride. Unfortunately, a misfortune struck (OOC: googlebots) and Cerb and I were to put it mildly … pissed. Our work had to be redone, and much kudos I might add to those who did for Cerb and I were deflated from that misfortune.

At that time, we created the HA to provide a service to Valorn, especially the younger players. But now that time has passed and with some recent conversations with Talisk, I feel that my eagerness to help may have clouded my wisdom at the time. Yes, it is beneficial to help those out for who strive to achieve more in this land. But I fear by starting the Almanac, we opened a Pandora’s box.

As voiced earlier in this discussion, a lot of guilds have tried to emulate the bunnies’ work and have created their own Hunter’s Almanac, listing in perfect detail where to go and who to speak with to gain advancement both in level and goodies. In addition to the excellent maps provided, directions have to be rarely asked for as those with their ‘shopping list’ of quests to do and beasts to slay plow forward.

I remember quite fondly in my first few weeks of just wandering about and exploring. As funny as this may seem, I tried in earnest to learn how to find this mysterious cannon that shot people through the air. I wondered if it was a quest or perhaps it was a way to travel to another location in this open world. My fun, and I contend for others, is this uncertainty of destination and hidden gems to discover.

Unfortunately, this curiosity and wonderment diminished a bit when I found some tattered maps and a few list of quests, but a great part remained unknown for back in my time we didn’t have such beautiful mapped out locations and detailed lists of critter levels, quests, and bounty to snare.

Talisk has always in my eye been looking out for others and trying to maintain the purity of heart and spirit that instills those who first touch those lands. Although he has not expressed openly to me, I suspect that he has felt these same concerns but felt that his comments might offend me given my history with the Almanac.

But he has not offended me, and I think we need to listen to his suggestions and perhaps take action. By making it too easy like following recipes from a cookbook, the HA and other niceties have created in the words of Cerb more ‘click monkeys’ and automated a world that I see more devoid of RP and general pleasantries. I suspect that and other pulls have caused more than a few old friends to forever leave these lands and perhaps Talisk is standing against the storm shouting in the wind. Perhaps shouting is not enough.

Sreip
Veteran

Postby Sreip » Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:54 am

Out of Character:
Kalea, this topic, discussion, conversation, was an In Character one. Talisk even apologized for posting it in the wrong section: [QUOTE=Talisk]
*shakes head* OOC: Tal in his humanity, goofed. This was supposed to be an IC thread. Perhaps it should be moved? Thanks for your patience.
[/QUOTE]

An OOC discussion thread would seem to be in order right about now since it seems that points of view are getting sorely blurred. *heads off*
"... who, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat." -Roosevelt

Sreip Enudreklaw #55234

Sreip
Veteran

Postby Sreip » Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:06 am

In Character:

Nah. The HA be just a book. It be up ta people ta teach responsibility. Be up to folk ta listen.
Easy way be a matter of choice. No be right ta force a choice onna someone. Pickin up the HA be a matter of choice.
Sure, there be folks that calls themselves mentors doin nothin but givin spells or potions or platinum, without explainin how they got 'em themselves or teachin the new adventurers a thing. But that be their way. I donna think no book taught them that.

When ya have passed on... anna myself... anna everyone else here alive today.. what will those after us do? They will always be relearnin stuff. Anna when Balthazar sends his demons down... there'll be a bunch of folks that won't know what to do ta them. They won't have no strategy ready. They won't be prepared.

Passin all these learnins on with spoken words alone... it didn't work too good for the Golden Age now did it? Aye, could say no did work well fer written things neither, since not much survived. But what little we do find anna read, we canna move on with.
"... who, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat." -Roosevelt

Sreip Enudreklaw #55234

New Adventurer

Postby 902 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:56 pm

I must agree with Talisk. If an initiate cannot be troubled to learn by asking questions, then that initiate is doomed to a certain death. It would not serve them well to simply present them the information and leave them to puzzle it out. I say remove the books.

Talisk
New Adventurer

Postby Talisk » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:00 pm

Your point is valid Thorin. Well done.

True we do not speak with gods about quests, speaking instead to the blacksmith, etc. But I would counter than neither the blacksmith nor I draw a breath without the blessed will of Ben, Cory, Miranda, or Xia.

A philosophical difference? We exist at the whims of the gods, as do the birds, the beasts, and the adventures.

Tal

Hojo Musachi
I talk WAY too much

Postby Hojo Musachi » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:07 pm

Surely then, the Hunters Almanac is created due to a greater influence of the gods and it should be viewed as a valuable, possible even an invaluable tool rather than a hindrance to adventurers?

"I'm afraid, Isoyami, I have probably already said more than was bought by the Knight's kiss " - Shaerih

Talisk
New Adventurer

Postby Talisk » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:11 pm

hojo Musachi wrote:Surely then, the Hunters Almanac is created due to a greater influence of the gods and it should be viewed as a valuable, possible even an invaluable tool rather than a hindrance to adventurers?

Another good point. We exist at their will, but this is not to say we are devoid of free will, and able to make mistakes. The HA is an example of the latter.

Tal

Topaz
I talk WAY too much

Postby Topaz » Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:52 am

Topaz unslings her shield, settles it on her knees, and drums lightly on it with a martial beat while singing the following to a tune called Trelawney's Army:

THE FIRE

I heard a man crusading, and he should have been more wise,
for he saw not the value of the things before his eyes.
For platinum and gemstones he could understand desire,
but a book he thought was valueless, so throw it on the fire!

CHORUS:
Throw it on the fire, oh, throw it on the fire,
watch the work of ages consumed upon a pyre,
dropped into the garderobe and trampled in the mire:
a book he thought was valueless, so throw it on the fire!

I heard a man declaring it was for the public good
that we go back to ignorance as quickly as we could,
for sharing knowledge freely leads to danger that is dire:
a book, he said, will drag us down, so throw it on the fire!

CHORUS:
a book, he said, will drag us down, so throw it on the fire!

I heard a man proclaiming that it was an evil thing
that to our precious writing we should resolutely cling,
and though for lack of knowledge may initiates expire,
a book, he said, was bad for all, so throw it on the fire!

CHORUS:
a book, he said, was bad for all, so throw it on the fire!

I heard a man believing, but I disbelieve his fears,
remembering the Golden Age that vanished in the years.
The pen preserves our knowledge as the sword conveys our ire,
till knowledge conquers Balthazar and throws him on the fire!

CHORUS:
Throws him on the fire, oh, throws him on the fire!
Though we fight both day and night, summoned by the Crier,
we preserve what we have learned, building Valorn higher,
till knowledge conquers Balthazar and throws him on the fire!

Topaz

JezzTheWarrior
Adventurer

Postby JezzTheWarrior » Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:00 pm

Dear Topaz,
Your skill with words is legendary and your song is quite extraordinary. In fact, hearing you sing it gave me an idea... one that might appeal to both sides of this debate.

Thank you so much

Jezz.

JezzTheWarrior
Adventurer

Postby JezzTheWarrior » Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:36 pm

Dear Talisk,

I have made a proposal to the clan and await a judgement from the Shrouded Bunnies. If all goes well, I may have found some common ground upon which we both may build. I cannot say much else unless I have the approval of the Clan, but I believe this to be a thing of which you would approve.

Will you walk towards me with your sword hand open and empty and with the benefit of ALL in Valorn in your heart? Will you speak to me not of destruction but of creation?

I feel we should meet soon lest the rift between us becomes too wide to bridge.

Yours

Jezzara

JezzTheWarrior
Adventurer

Postby JezzTheWarrior » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:00 am

In the interest of putting this debate to rest, Talisk and I have come to an agreement. We will be working together instead of against each other to bring a different kind of resource into being, one that can be used openly and by everyone without spoiling the sense of adventure for anyone.

Negotiations are currently taking place and details will be announced as soon as possible.

Jezzara.

Hansen Beck
New Adventurer
Location: The middle of the south part of the north part of the Americas

Postby Hansen Beck » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:29 am

*message on a hastily scrawled note, thoroughly smudged, crumpled, torn, rent, spindled, and otherwise mishandled in every way. Obviously, the note came from far, far away*

Dearest Jezzara: I decided to send this note through several messengers (and several lands!). I hope it reaches you - I am still traveling abroad. I heard of my brother's recent agitation regarding our beloved almanac. Be careful of my brother's intentions. He's a good feller, but he does get a bit, well, focused sometimes? Must be that MSG muck he drinks.

Please tell our clan mates to listen to your advice carefully on this matter - I believe they should follow your planned course of action. Your strategy shall prove wise in the end, if they will but listen to you. I love my family, both in the clan ad outside it. I trust in your judgment in guiding the misguided enthusiasms of my brother and the good works contained in the almanac.

As always, stay shrouded,
Hansen

Return to “Lord Cory's Social Hall”