The Acolyte's Lesson

Come here to tell your tales and meet with others. (In-character talk only)
Blythe
I talk WAY too much

The Acolyte's Lesson

Postby Blythe » Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:43 am

The Acolyte's Lesson

Thelen was a gifted acolyte in the Great Temple of Cory. He recited his blessings and prayers perfectly. Everything was always technically correct, not an utterance or syllable ever out of place or time. Every blessing was just as it was written and never did Thelen vary in his delivery. But Elijah the Holy told Thelen that he could never be a truly great healer, because he did not understand suffering. Upon hearing the words of Elijah, Thelen eagerly left his home at the Temple and took only the robes on his back to wander the vast wilds of Valorn.

After three years of barely surviving, Thelen returned to Elijah the Holy and told him his stories of hardship. He told of bitter frigid nights in the snowy plateaus and mountains, and miserably sweltering days lost in the deserts and fire caverns. Thelen recounted years spent alone with no comfort, no luxuries and only his prayers to keep him safe. Elijah the Holy listened graciously and then asked Thelen to recite his blessings. Thelen recited his blessings with perfection from memory; just as he had day after day over the years. He remembered each one as clearly as he remembered each day living with only the sound of his own voice and prayer to the gods to comfort him. In the end Elijah the Holy sent him away, saying that Thelen still did not understand suffering. He could never be a great healer, if he did not truly understand suffering. Thelen grew angry and wanted nothing more to do with the Temple, the Gods, or Elijah the Holy! He put away his robes and left the pious life of an acolyte behind him.

Thelen took up an ordinary farming life in Milltown. He eventually married and had children. He tried hard to embrace the mundane life and forget the bitter disappointment of giving up his passion for serving the gods as the years passed. His wife was faithful and stood by him through famine and failure, through good times and bad, and always showed Thelen nothing but love and admiration. Thelen and his wife grew old in their life together. Until one day, he came home to find his wife of many years had died. Thelen said a blessing and prayer at his wife’s funeral for the first time in dozens of years. Although Thelen was out of practice and could no longer recite the blessings of the gods with ease as he did as young man, the heartfelt beauty of the prayer brought tears to everyone's eyes. After hearing Thelen’s words Elijah the Holy, who had come to pay his respects at the funeral, told him that he was now ready to become a great healer.
Last edited by Blythe on Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am :D
Raffe Rychmin

10x2

Xanthias
I talk WAY too much

Postby Xanthias » Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:47 am

*bows his head slightly and smiles*

Thank you Raffe. A story for us all, and one that holds true meaning to those that can understand it.

MDAL
New Adventurer

Postby MDAL » Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:24 am

*wipes away tears and nods* Raffe, it's wonderful. Thank you so much... *goes somewhere quiet to think*
The best way to avoid unwanted conversations is not to respond in the first place.

Minnie
New Adventurer

Postby Minnie » Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:50 pm

*smiles warmly with tears in her eyes* This is a story to be shared with all. Thank you Raffe. I will ask all of my sponsorees to come and share this.

Blythe
I talk WAY too much

Postby Blythe » Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:15 pm

Thank you, all of you, that commented on the tale so far. You kind words are truly appreciated... and I must apologize that an additional edit was necessary. The premise and overall story was not changed, but I felt the minor changes necessary.

Thank you.

Sincerely,
Raffe
I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am :D
Raffe Rychmin

10x2

Zyanna
New Adventurer

Postby Zyanna » Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:24 am

I know this is a bit late, but better that then never. I just wanted to thank you with deepest sincerity for your story, Raffe; it is the essence of enlightened.
Zyanna.

Return to “Lord Cory's Social Hall”