Which Path Should I follow?

Come here to tell your tales and meet with others. (In-character talk only)
Red Bumo
New Adventurer

Which Path Should I follow?

Postby Red Bumo » Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:17 pm

I have hunted now for may days, Bears and wolfs now fear me (rather than the other way around) and I can stand my ground against those pesky Zombies and Sand beetles (the big ones), even those bandits of the forest think twice (but not three times). I found my father had become a zombie, and upon his re-death I took from him a ring of Nobility, which I am considering using to calim a titl, I know it will cost but I feel it will help me remember who I am.

Anyway fellow adventures I seek a path, both of the profession and guild kind. The profession I know little, each has some merits but which do you recommend and why so?

As for guild, there are so many forks in that road, I have yet to decide my motivations, but ridding this world of its cancer is a worthy cause, so again I ask for advise from you so wise, what say you?
Last edited by Red Bumo on Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Let not your mind run on what you lack as much as on what you have already.
Marcus Aurelius 121-180 Roman Emporer

Viktor Blackheart
Experienced Adventurer

Postby Viktor Blackheart » Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:32 am

We can't tell you what profession to follow, only you can decide that, also.. if we discribe the profession, i THINK that can be classed as a spolier?

Red Bumo
New Adventurer

In game answers only please

Postby Red Bumo » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:45 am

Great adventures of Valorn, please I do not ask for the secrets of your professions only some reason why you chose your path?

So that I can decide which path may suit me, I already have a feeling in my bones as to my course, I am just after your great knowledge.

Many Thanks
Your Humble Servant Red Bumo

Aaronar
Adventurer

Postby Aaronar » Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:16 am

If you want to know more about why people chose the profession they have, I would suggest finding members of the various professions in game and asking them there.

Red Bumo
New Adventurer

Hello Dave

Postby Red Bumo » Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:08 pm

Great Aventure Aaronar, Many Thanks for your advise ( i really did'nt think of this!) I will stop some fellow adventures and get their point of view.

With this message I was more after stories of why people chose their path
i.e. I came from a warrior tribe and was cast out when they found I was and enchated one......Type of thing.

Your Humble Servant Red Bumo

Hojo Musachi
I talk WAY too much

Postby Hojo Musachi » Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:16 pm

If you are around, contact me in Game and I can help you talk with people from each profession rather than stopping random people :wink:

http://www.darkgrimoire.com/cshow79090.html

"I'm afraid, Isoyami, I have probably already said more than was bought by the Knight's kiss " - Shaerih

Korrith
Social Leech

Postby Korrith » Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:59 pm

(I think, seeing as this is a ROLEPLAYING IC forum, that Red Bumo's intentions was for this to be a roleplaying thread, where we play our characters and talk about why we became what proffession we are)

Hojo Musachi
I talk WAY too much

Postby Hojo Musachi » Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:05 pm

Korrith wrote:(I think, seeing as this is a ROLEPLAYING IC forum, that Red Bumo's intentions was for this to be a roleplaying thread, where we play our characters and talk about why we became what proffession we are)

I think you are right, but its easier to do it IG so we don't post spoilers as well as creating a role playing atmosphere

"I'm afraid, Isoyami, I have probably already said more than was bought by the Knight's kiss " - Shaerih

Korrith
Social Leech

Postby Korrith » Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:30 pm

My proffession came as something of a surprise to many.

I'm hardly your sterotypical Cleric, even less so before I became one. Yet I defied my critics by becoming a cleric with the aid of my fiance, Wyeverne.

Why did I pick it? To this day I can't know exactly. But I felt drawn to it. Perhaps it is the excuse to touch lovely wenches and damsels in distress. Perhaps it is the ability to do my job while still sitting around the inn. Or maybe, as some events may suggest, there's more good in me than anyone anticipates or expects.

Who knows? All I know for sure is... I'm a cleric, and thats the way it's going to stay. *twists the Holy ring on his finger and looks down at the floorboards*

Red Bumo
New Adventurer

many thanks

Postby Red Bumo » Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:35 pm

Your explanation is exactly what I was looking for.

Many Thanks for your time to sit and chat with me.

I am still undecided myself but my path is becoming clearer.

Red

carlo aggaruzzi
I talk WAY too much

Postby carlo aggaruzzi » Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:33 pm

I will post this OOC, but characteristically, I emphasize the RP.

For a briefing on professions' abilities, see the following:
http://www.darkgrimoire.com/bb/viewtopi ... profession

My focus is on role-playing so I say, choose a profession that fits your character's personality.

In a topic that does not relate directly to this one, I wrote:
[C]hoose the class, as it exists, that best fits the image of [your] character.

I like the lengthy Initiate period in DG because it requires players to spend time learning about DG's mechanics and about Valorn before choosing a profession. It yields better-informed choices, thus reducing player complaints after they choose. More importantly, it gives the opportunity for each player to develop a character's personality. The character's personality often points in the direction of a profession, and most of the time, it narrows the choices that fit.

And in another topic that does not relate directly to this one, I used another player as a fine example of how a profession could be chosen.
your character should have a personality before a profession. Be the character first. If the character intends to pursue a profession, portray it, but do not stunt the growth of the role. To cite an excellent example from play, Purazon intended to be a cleric to heal the pains in Valorn and offer solace to people. However, an event in play made him realize that a warrior's prowess might prevent wounds and preempt attacks on townspeople. The player had an agenda, but he re-evaluated it through the eyes of the character. The IC thought-process in his choice of the warrior profession provided depth to his play. A profession is just one aspect of your character, a choice your character made for reasons. The character's personality, the reasons and thoughts and feelings, should take priority.

http://www.darkgrimoire.com/bb/ftop1974-0-asc-20.html

I love Korrith's post above, because when the character of Korrith became a cleric, I thought it was the best choice he could have made. As he indicates, it opened up for him opportunities for developing his character's personality and interactions with others. I believe it was a comlicated decision made as much IC as OOC, and that was grand.

With whom does your character associate? Is there anyone he looks up to, or has ever looked up to (in his past, or childhood)?

How smart is he? How spiritual? How giving is he? A people-person or private? How trustworthy? How strong, or nimble? How curious, and about what might he be the most curious?

Just a sampling of questions that might guide you, the player, in how you have your character choose. If you're still not sure, consider the option of playing it out. That is, get into IC conversations about professions with other characters, about how they made their choices, or about your (your character's) indecision. If you have not yet developed your character's personality in play, then this could be a good time to start. If you already have got a handle on your character's personality, then the indecision you have is an excellent thing to bring into play.

Morris
Experienced Adventurer

Postby Morris » Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:41 pm

Korrith wrote:My proffession came as something of a surprise to many.

Grins was shocked you even made it out off the inn

Red Bumo
New Adventurer

indeed

Postby Red Bumo » Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:36 am

I have now spoke to some of the great minds of Valorn. After they sat me down in Dundee inn. And told stories of great adventure and how they overcome problems in their own special ways. The advise they each gave me amounted to the same, ' follow the path of your heart'.

So many many thanks to each of you (you know who you are), my path is now clear, I have a few more months of trainning yet but know I know in which direction I'm heading, and maybe it will lead me to not just what but who I am.

Red.

Return to “Lord Cory's Social Hall”