Pumpkin Patch Warning

Come here to tell your tales and meet with others. (In-character talk only)
Brisingr Blaze
Social Leech

Pumpkin Patch Warning

Postby Brisingr Blaze » Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:20 am

*A scroll is posted just outside the perimeter of the pumpkin patch, "The worm infestation has gotten much worse and seem to be popping up attacking anyone that comes through for a visit. We are thinking of roping off the area until we can find a proper solution. If anyone has any suggestions please tack your notice below and be on guard if you absolutely must visit your pumpkins."*

Blythe
I talk WAY too much

Re: Pumpkin Patch Warning

Postby Blythe » Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:04 am

Salt.
Worms hate salt.
I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am :D
Raffe Rychmin

10x2

Alfred Elpin
Adventurer

Postby Alfred Elpin » Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:27 am

So do plants.
Warrior by the hand of Topaz, mint farmer by birth.

Brisingr Blaze
Social Leech

Postby Brisingr Blaze » Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:12 am

As much as I wouldn't want to risk killing the pumpkins... We very well might have to salt the ground to get rid of the worms for everyone's safety.

It might merit a message to Jeffrey to see if he could procure enough salt for our task. Perhaps instead of story time in the coming turns...

Bo Bonnie
New Adventurer

Postby Bo Bonnie » Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:07 pm

Is there really no other way? This isn't just a pumpkin patch, but a Memorial Garden also.
And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it. - Roald Dahl

Pallas
Veteran

Postby Pallas » Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:46 pm

The scent of some herbs and flowers, if strong enough, can dissuade garden pests from approaching or act as an irresistible attraction.
Perhaps we could investigate the many varieties of growth in the lands – blossoms from the greenhouse, the herbs we collect and take to Caritas, Mirandines and En’sate and others which come to the mind of anyone else?
If any are found useful, cultivating them near the pumpkins might repel pests. Or growing them some distance away might distract such pests if they find the aroma of what is growing more alluring than that of fruiting pumpkins.

The joke is on the bloke who never spoke a word at all
But whose dreams lay unrevealed 'til they were rotten ...

Lindisfarne 'The Things I Should Have Said'

Bo Bonnie
New Adventurer

Postby Bo Bonnie » Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:16 pm

Wonderful thinking, Pallas!

I also recall hearing that slugs like beer, I wonder if perhaps Helminth are the same way inclined?
And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it. - Roald Dahl

Alfred Elpin
Adventurer

Postby Alfred Elpin » Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:33 pm

When unwanted pests and parasites sprang up in our fields at home, we would introduce beneficial insects that would consume them.

With how capable these helminths are at causing harm, see Bandit Guard and the removal of ABV support from protecting the garden, we may need to entice the frog that took a liking to Miss Bo Bonnie.

Ultimately, salting may be the solution, but closing the garden to others - even those with pumpkins - is probably the correct course of action.

-A Humble Farmer

P.S. If these parasites came from the seagulls, moose, or zombie crows, perhaps we will find them present in those respective habitats and could find solutions from those areas. Namely, the farm west of Milltown and the Lighthouse along the southern shoreline, or where the moose hail from.

Lavender
Social Leech

Postby Lavender » Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:55 pm

I've heard before that worms don't like soap; we could water with soapy water. Maybe it will chase them away, or it might make them come up for air.. not sure honestly. Could have a group ready to try and kill them if they come up. ~ Joy
Lavender
Kindness is more important than wisdom, and the recognition of this
is the beginning of wisdom. –Theodore Issac Rubin.
It takes courage to be kind. - Maya Angelou.

Topaz
I talk WAY too much

Postby Topaz » Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:12 pm

What about mint? Many insects and other pests don't like it (although I do).

Topaz

Dabria
Social Leech

Postby Dabria » Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:07 pm

I have heard tell during my travels that a barrier of sorts around patches can prove to be of some use. However, with the Helminths being tunnellers I am unsure as to how effective this will be. We could try a ring of coarse sand mixed with hard pieces of say, carapace or some such shells (even sea shells would do the trick) around the patch. It wouldn't hurt none and, worse case scenario is that it would not prove effective but it would also not harm the pumpkins in anyway.
"Stabbing someone is no longer considered rude. Rather, it is now an acceptable method in which to end a conversation."
~Richard~

Quasha wrote:I'd pretend shock, but it's Dabria the Inappropriate.

Brisingr Blaze
Social Leech

Postby Brisingr Blaze » Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:56 am

After some heavy consideration, aside from the salt which will be a last resort we've decided to give the ideas mentioned a try. If anyone has any free time, by all means go ahead and start on your effort and just let us know. We've also decided to try and take down the Scarecrows and placing them aside in hopes of returning the zombie crows to clear out the works.

Alfred Elpin
Adventurer

Postby Alfred Elpin » Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:48 pm

Report of Investigation:

Milltown Farm: No sign of helminth, plenty of zombie crows. Perhaps they are not the source of the infestation.

Lighthouse: No sign of helminth, plenty of seagulls (and salt). Perhaps they are not the source of the infestation.

Cannot investigate region where the moose may hail from and elicit the help of any other capable of investigating this area.

-Alf

Dabria
Social Leech

Postby Dabria » Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:06 am

This turn, not four marcs ago, an infestation of crows attacked the patch. They were swiftly dispatched. No helminths were present at this time.
D.K
"Stabbing someone is no longer considered rude. Rather, it is now an acceptable method in which to end a conversation."
~Richard~

Quasha wrote:I'd pretend shock, but it's Dabria the Inappropriate.

Brisingr Blaze
Social Leech

Postby Brisingr Blaze » Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:37 am

Thank you, would seem taking down the scarecrow brought them back. Gives everyone a chance to collect the feathers that might've missed getting some.

Dabria wrote:This turn, not four marcs ago, an infestation of crows attacked the patch. They were swiftly dispatched. No helminths were present at this time.
D.K

Return to “Lord Cory's Social Hall”