Advent Prompt 11

Come here to tell your tales and meet with others. (In-character talk only)
Rhalia
New Adventurer

Advent Prompt 11

Postby Rhalia » Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:40 am

**From the point of view of Zibathia Shade**

I was quietly reading some tomes in the Caer Laleldan reference library when he entered.
"What are you doing here? I'm usually the only one here."
His tone was curious, carrying a touch more annoyance than I cared for.
Looking up, I saw that scrawny enchanter who was digging that tunnel for the gremlins. I fixed him with a glare for a moment before relaxing and simply holding up the tome I had been reading in response to his query.
He shrugged and wore a smile that I could tell was as uncomfortable for him to wear as it was for me to look at. Doing my best to remain polite and civil, I forced a wan smile in return.
"I have something for you.", he said, his tone assuming a more jovial quality.
I raised a curious eyebrow at this and he held up a finger, signaling me to wait. I couldn't help but zoom in on that finger to examine it more closely, knowing where his hands had been the turn before.
He set his pack down and began to root through it before extracting a Bos bell from it's depths.
I leaned back in my seat, perplexed by this strange offering.
"I had meant to give this to you during the dig, but never got the chance... in case you had gotten caved in or something."
I quirked an amused eyebrow before pulling out my journal to write a response.
"That is... thoughtful of you. This might make my deeds as a rogue a bit more difficult though."
I presented the page for his examination. He fumbled awkwardly for his spectacles and placed them upon his nose before squinting over my writing. Clearing his throat, he responded.
"Ah... yes... well, you could wrap it in cloth when not using it."
His answer held a certain soundness, so I extended my hand and accepted the bell. I gave it a quick jingle before remembering we were in a library. The look of fury that flashed on his face was almost worth it though. I feigned a remorseful smile and tucked the bell into my belt.
"Say...", he began. "Perhaps you might be able to help me."
Again, I raised an inquisitive eyebrow at him.
"Well, you see.... It has been many turns since my last advancement. I spend most of my time either in the hollowed out tree with the gremlins, or here losing myself in the tomes. I am close to my next advancement, but will never achieve it at this rate."
I pondered just what exactly he was getting at. Was he asking me to help him to train? I didn't know how I could help him train. Perhaps he didn't really know either and was just grasping at straws.
A few split-marcs went by without him continuing, leading me to believe he indeed had no ideas. Then, inspiration struck.
Once more, I quickly scribbled in my journal, producing the text for him again.
"Give me your spectacles. I'll hold onto them so you can't waste your turns reading. I'll give them back after you have advanced."
Again, the skinny enchanter narrowed his eyes at the page before straightening.
"B-b-but... I... That is..."
After a split-marc, he sighed resignedly.
"You know, that's actually not a terrible idea."
He handed me the spectacles with the expected pedantic fussing that I be careful with his lenses. I gave him a mock salute to show my understanding before shoving his spectacles into my pack a little more forcefully than I rightly should have.
"Right, so you will return them to me when I have achieved my thirty-seventh advancement, correct?"
Grinning mischievously, I nodded emphatically before quickly flashing four fingers, followed by seven fingers and finishing with a thumbs-up.
"Ag... get your hands out of my face!", he shrieked, paying no mind to the significance of the signs as I knew he wouldn't.
"Right, anyway.", he said as he turned to leave, bumping into a table on his way. "I'll see you after I have trained. Be careful with those."
As he crossed the room, I returned my attention to the tome I had been reading, pulling the bell from my belt and giving it a single ring in acknowledgement.

Bifrost Janger
Experienced Adventurer

Re: Advent Prompt 11

Postby Bifrost Janger » Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:29 pm

Enanek Trabbeg had a problem. Though what, Bif could not quite fathom. That was the trouble, you see. Enanek's narcolepsy prevented him from keeping his eyes open for long enough to express it.

Bif had tried numerous things thus far: Poking. Prodding. Yelling. Even Experimental tickling - though Enanek did not seem at all ticklish.

He had tried singing, yelling and bellowing. For a split marc, Bif regretted gifting that bell to Zibathia. Mayhaps he could've rang it loudly by the sleeping Enchanter's ear.

On the second turn, Bif changed tact. Maybe stimulants would do the trick?! But, alas. Bif held poofing powder beneath the other Enchanter's nose and achieved nothing more than being sneezed on. He brewed him hot tea with plenty of sugar, but wound up moping it off Enanek's robes when in inevitably fell asleep. He tried to busy him with organising his geology collection and reading tomes aloud. But both times, Enanek drooped with a thunk across the desk in Jam's Ana.

He'd been asleep in one of the leather armchairs for two ruddy turns now. Bif regarded him with a quiet frown. Thus far, Enanek was nothing more than a human ornament in the corner. He'd have to tuck sprigs of holly in his hair and decorate him for Winter's Warming at this rate...

With that thought in mind, Bif moved suddenly to drag one of the study chairs across the room. He climbed atop it, and reached out to unhook the dream catcher that hung in the rafters above his own armchair. A moment later, he had relocated the catcher to hang above Enanek's bowed head.

If he was going to sit there sleeping, then he might as well feed the spiders...
Fear is a strange soil. It grows obedience like corn, which grow in straight lines to make weeding easier. But sometimes it grows the potatoes of defiance, which flourish underground. - Terry Pratchett

Return to “Lord Cory's Social Hall”