Advent Prompt 9

Come here to tell your tales and meet with others. (In-character talk only)
Rhalia
New Adventurer

Advent Prompt 9

Postby Rhalia » Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:09 pm

And this is what I should have said...
"I’m sorry, but I can’t understand you…"
Because telling the ogre princess that I would be honored to wear the ogre full-plate armor was quite obviously a mistake… *sighs then gags*

Pallas
Veteran

Re: Advent Prompt 9

Postby Pallas » Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:47 pm

And this is what I should have said - ‘Hold on a part-marc before you sign those papers. Do you have no words of advice? Can you not at least show me how to use a lockpick, or open a sealed door?’

I had my papers and had decided on the path I wished to follow. But I knew very few people in the lands, having spent my time hunting and learning, visiting a town only to see a trainer and sell what loot was in my pack before buying potions and doing it all again.
I spied a rogue in Milltown, and asked how I could set my feet on the path he followed.
‘Come with me,’ he said.
I did so, and entered a temple in the desert. He took my papers, signed and returned them to me, saying ‘You are now a rogue.’ before he left.
We met by chance a couple of cycles later. He did not know who I was…

I taught myself what I needed to know, and hunted out the secret paths. And I learned how to use a second blade for both attack and defence. I swore that any who asked my assistance to enter the profession would be taught thoroughly before we set foot in the temple so that they would not leave unprepared for the life they had chosen to follow.
It seems to work. I will teach, and advise. But I will not simply sign another’s papers. Those I have taken to the temple have accepted the sessions with good grace so far as I can tell. And they’ve stayed awake, too, while I speak. Or at least they’ve not snored loudly enough for me to notice!
It’s always been a matter of pride for me, and hopefully also for them, that they leave the desert temple much more knowledgeable than I did.

The joke is on the bloke who never spoke a word at all
But whose dreams lay unrevealed 'til they were rotten ...

Lindisfarne 'The Things I Should Have Said'

Bifrost Janger
Experienced Adventurer

Re: Advent Prompt 9

Postby Bifrost Janger » Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:31 pm

And that is when I should have said...

Well, I likely shouldn't have said anything at all. But I never did learn. Maybe it will come with age, and one turn I will learn when to keep my mouth shut.

But I have said too much already. And now you hold me in your palm. I am a moth - you could crush me in an instant. When will I learn to keep my mouth shut? When will I learn self perseverance. When will I learn that words are like arrow shots and you cannot call them back once they have been fired. Words are wild and feral things; they run off and never come back.

I confess too easily.
I spit spiteful barbs.
I scold sunny Initiates.
I scuffle with with my betters.
I love too readily.

Here I am, yet again. I have tripped myself up with my own tongue. I trip up over my own dancing shoes. People don't need to know my heart, but I just can't help but show the colour of it; it's on my sleeve.

My heart is large and heavy. That is how it feels in my chest. But still, I always weigh it less than those of others. When will I learn, to keep my mouth shut and guard that bountiful heart of mine?

Into danger I did blithely blunder
Until one turn I was torn asunder.
But will I leave such a handsome ghost
When you've picked all of my bones?
And there is nary a scrap left
Not a scrap left of me.
Fear is a strange soil. It grows obedience like corn, which grow in straight lines to make weeding easier. But sometimes it grows the potatoes of defiance, which flourish underground. - Terry Pratchett

Return to “Lord Cory's Social Hall”