Advent Prompt 2

Come here to tell your tales and meet with others. (In-character talk only)
Bifrost Janger
Experienced Adventurer

Advent Prompt 2

Postby Bifrost Janger » Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:48 am

Dear Sam,

Look. I don't have much time. You come of age at 3:44am and I've gotta skin out before then else I'll turn into a sneeze. That's what happens to us, you know? Us imaginary friends. When you grow and your brain gets too big, there's no room left for us. So, ACHOO! Ejected out the shnoz.

I mean, admittedly the chaos of it appeals to me. I always was a bit like that. Mind, thankfully you weren't. Some kids have imaginary friends and set fire to things and then we get the blame. Gives us imaginary people a bad rep. I'm lucky you weren't one of those kids. The worst we ever thing we did was eat that birthday cake what didn't belong to us. But, it was worth it. And I'd do it again.

Anyway I'm dithering. Err... Some life advice! Now, let me see...
1. Your mam is right. You need to wash your hair more.
2. Always wear sunblock. Cmon you're ginger - which is probably why you imagined me as ginger. So yeh, wear it.
3. I should say something inspirational here about like always be happy but it's alright to be sad sometimes. But I can't think and I'm rushing. So that's the best I can do.
4. Probably most important thing. As you get old and (probably) inevitably boring, don't forget about us imaginary things. We might seem like insignificant dust and daydreams. But we're important. So look for the fairies. Talk to a tree. Cosplay. Do a bit of Cosplay. I think that's what they call it. (It's basically playing 'dress up' for grown ups. Or so I'm told).

Anyway. I'm going. I heard of this decent gig. Seems pretty neat. Basically someone called a Role player is going to adopt me. She doesn't know it yet mind - I'm planning to appear one night while she's drunk and listening to REM. Hahaha! She'll think she's thought of me herself!

But anyway, it was either a role player or an author. And I wanted to stick clear of authors cos they have the tendency to kill you. Or I'll wind up being made into a poor TV adaptation. And then the fanfic writers might get a hold of me and nothing is sacred with them lot.

No. Role players sound better. I hear tell that they're so addle-brained that I'll basically be able to do whatever I ruddy like within a year. And there will be nothing she can do but apologise 'OOC' for my behaviour. Ha!

But anyway, seriously. I hope I settle in there. Maybe meet a nice lad. Hopefully there's some other little imaginary things that I could take care of. I have been feeling sort of broody lately.

So Sam. This is goodbye. You were a good kid. And I think you'll be a good big. You should probably burn this letter after you've read it. I borrowed your arm to write it while you were sleeping and people will think you're insane.

Be silly always.

Bif x
Fear is a strange soil. It grows obedience like corn, which grow in straight lines to make weeding easier. But sometimes it grows the potatoes of defiance, which flourish underground. - Terry Pratchett

Blythe
I talk WAY too much

Re: Advent Prompt 2

Postby Blythe » Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:32 pm

Dear Nancy,

I think I should apologize for not warning you that this day will come. I have written this letter a thousand times over and it never feels just right. Truth be told, I never wanted you to grow up so I could never find the words to tell you it was inevitable - that means it is going to happen whether or not we like it.

I don’t think it hurts but it changes you. You will start seeing things differently and you will stop seeing me. It just happens in a blink and it’s okay to be scared. Bravery is when you’re afraid and you still don’t quit. I didn’t train a quitter.

We have had a lot of fun and you have been my best friend and apprentice yet! You’re going to be a great warrior, just a bit differently from how I planned. So here is the last of my advice:

1. Practice makes perfect. Practice, practice, practice! Footwork is the key to swordsmanship. But don’t actually stab anyone. Turns out in your world that is severely frowned upon. When you grow up, they will throw you in a dark cell for that.
2. You’ll fight more monsters in your head than in reality. I have taught you well and there are just many monsters here as in Valorn. Don’t let the monsters that hide in the dark corners of your mind get the drop on you: those are the ones you never see coming. Remember the light is within you. Always.
3. Always clean and repair your armor. That’s your protection against the evils of the world. But you’ll also know when it’s okay to take it off. You have to let others in sometimes. It is okay to be discerning when it comes to this. Make it rare but make it count.
4. Never forget that you are loved. I will never forget you. Even when I am just a distant memory for you, I will always remember you best. I needed you as much as you needed me.
5. And last but not least, never ever and I mean never trust a rogue to hold the money or buy the ale.

That is all the time I have, I am afraid. I wish I could have taught you more and protected you forever. I will have another apprentice soon, but none will ever be as special to me as you. Grow up strong and don’t stay in the wilds too long.

Love always,
Rx
I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am :D
Raffe Rychmin

10x2

Kailani of Admin
'Rifterian

Postby Kailani of Admin » Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:57 pm

I enjoyed these.
I want to see more.
I will reward my favorite with a small token of my appreciation.
I will choose at the end of the Advent Season to give everyone a chance to make an entry if they so wish.

Thank you. I just love seeing all the creativity among you.

K.

Pallas
Veteran

Postby Pallas » Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:43 am

We had some fun didn’t we? All the little jokes and pranks – like boots filled with bos-dung ‘coz I thought it would warm them up before you put them on, daddy’ Or the hood of a cloak filled with snow – looked hilarious didn’t it, when your mom put the cloak on and pulled the hood up!
… yes I know. My ideas and you got the blame. Sorry about that. But like I said, they seemed funny at the time.
You are growing up now. I guess we’ve come to the time when you start realising I never will. You’re past the stage of swapping sugar for salt or dropping a termite into a simmering bowl of broth ‘to give it an extra bit of taste’
As you go on in life, remember the fun times. And remember this too – Thoughts and ideas for your future, graver matters for you to keep in mind, those were me too. I can be serious sometimes, whispering those little things as you grew drowsy after a day full of fun and mischief.
Time for me to leave now. What can I say except ‘Goodbye’?

Try, always, to do the right thing. Vague I know, but I’ve seen sense in that brain of yours and you’ll soon understand that ‘the right thing’ might mean doing what is best for others, not yourself.

Learn to lace up your boots!

Be strong and faithful for and to those you hold dear. And remember a time will come when you meet the one who is meant for you.

Clean your teeth after eating!

Grown-ups may have other things on their mind, but still need to make time for fun and the occasional bit of silliness. That’s really important to remember.

Your own child might mention a friend you can not see. And maybe the name will be different. But it will be me. Maybe you will smile when, as a grown adult you recall the fun of your younger years. Nothing wrong with that my friend, nothing at all. I will be with your child, as I was with your parent. As individuals I am allowed only a certain time with each of you. As a family line it’s been a blast watching over all of you!

I give you the love of your father’s father’s fathers.
And I will give yours to your children’s children’s children.

Time I slept for a while. You’ll know when I awake. Always check your boots before you put them on …

Farewell, from your devoted though unseen companion.

The joke is on the bloke who never spoke a word at all
But whose dreams lay unrevealed 'til they were rotten ...

Lindisfarne 'The Things I Should Have Said'

Turcko
Veteran

Postby Turcko » Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:43 pm

Dear Falx Monde,

You are incredibly dull. Sorry to just blurt it out, but you are. I have been standing by your side for almost two decades now, so I should know better than anyone.

First of all, what kind of a name is Flax? Who names his invisible confidant after a dumber anagram of his already dumb name?! There we were, collecting forest debris or trying to find what rats liked and disliked, Falx and Flax, turn after turn. With a catchy name like this we could have grown up to be a performer duo, the both of us, maybe join the Murder of Crows’ ranks eventually, eh?
If not for your superhuman lack of fun!

Stop trying to please your father, who so wanted a strong warrior son.
Stop pretending you don’t care how much your mother worries every time you go out and about to do stuff too dangerous for a boy!
Stop the constant complaints about your cousin. He actually does try to have you enjoy the brighter side of life. True, he smells like he always just came out of the Iron Knights barracks after reporting from swamp duty, but at least he laughs about it.

You are a curious boy. You have peculiar interests and a sharp mind to pursue them. But if you keep on closing yourself to others, to let them in your life, you will end up all alone without ever knowing true friendship.
Don’t be scared to meet and greet others! Take an interest in them! If it helps, see it as another of your experiments. Study emotions and passions! Share your life with others!

And smile every now and then.

Hopefully you won’t need to keep me around much longer. Soon I should fade and be just a distant memory, maybe not even that.
Now that I put it on paper, if this is to be the end, maybe you were not entirely dull after all. We did have our moments and triumphs, didn’t we?
Well this latter started harsh and actually managed to end it in a sweetish note, didn’t I?

Find your heart, old friend, and let others find it too.
Falx and Flax, rat enthusiasts. Eh.
Turcko, Falx Monde, Ivan Monde, Argoth

Return to “Lord Cory's Social Hall”