Stone Masonry

Come here to tell your tales and meet with others. (In-character talk only)
Turcko
Veteran

Stone Masonry

Postby Turcko » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:43 pm

Falx approached Argoth with a winning smile. The cleric saw him coming a long while away and sighed heavily.
"Argoth my good friend, it has been too long! How have you fared?"
"You saw me just last turn boy, don't mock me. You need something, and I'm most certainly not going to like it. Out with it."
Falx chuckled playfully "Now now, don't be so grumpy or you'll get even more wrinkles and grey hairs. I had a meeting with a few others to put together thoughts and ideas in order to restore the teleporting pillars in the enchanter Nexus that have been damaged.".
Hearing this, Argoth's features softened a bit "Go on...".
"As it turns out, we may need to make whole new pillars to replace the broken ones. However, no one present at the meeting knew a skilled stone mason that could make the three pillars needed" Falx said plainly with just a hint of a smile.
"Well, I don't know any stone masons either. I don't see how the enchanter's plight concerns me. My prayers are certainly with any endeavor that benefits the lands and their people."
"You're always complaining that you have far too much marcs on your hands and little to do with them. Why not become the stone mason we need? Just imagine all the enchanters in the lands praising your name! And the donations to the poor that Branishor could gather for having a cleric contributing to such a noble effort!" Falx's smile was rather obvious at this point, trying to use all his charm on the old cleric.
Argoth sighed heavily once again "You have hands as well don't you? Your brother wanted to make a toy and what did he do? He went and learned wood carving! You need something done and your first thought is to try and con a man that you already owe countless favors to, into doing your bidding?" While the cleric's words seemed harsh, he couldn't help but smile as well.
"I know you're already on board with this plan good Argoth. I also know how much I owe you, my very life even. That's why I can't think of another one best suited to entrust this great task. As for myself, I'll be in the Nexus, trying to figure out how to turn freshly made stone pillars into the teleporting ones that we need."
"One of these turns boy, you will be an old man with patience worn thin, and you will have a brat of a boy pestering you for aid with his wild plans. May the Gods allow me to live long enough to see that!" Argoth chuckled. "Very well, I will seek someone who can teach me among the builders of Branishor that remade Milltown's temple. When I learn enough I will take a look at New Ryndall's pillar to Milltown to better understand what may be needed. Stay safe Falx."

They both parted ways after a firm shake of hands. Followed by Argoth firmly smacking Falx's head with his hand while muttering "Brat!".
Turcko, Falx Monde, Ivan Monde, Argoth

quintine
New Adventurer

Re: Stone Masonry

Postby quintine » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:45 pm

I am not sure if the pillar has to be solid or if it was stone work. If it is stone worked in, is it small blocks stacked up using 4"x3"x2" blocks or 2'x2'x4" plates with a hole set in center? Where each block or plate preset with runes or were they added after they were put together? At any point was this asked? I am a mason's son and have laid many blocks in my life (RL). I have looked into runic stone pillars and have seen both used. Though most are a single piece stone.
But by looking at the markers in the nexus and the one in Ryndall I can guess they are plated and stoned in with a runic piece added into its center. But that is just my guess. I would like to hear what you think on this thought. I have no ideal in what direction we are wanting to go with it.

That would be 4" long x 3" wide x 2" thick and 2' long x 2' wide x 4" thick.

Turcko
Veteran

Postby Turcko » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:20 pm

Argoth looks up from a book he was asked to read at the Branishor temple, hearing the wisdom of Jarl Nightshade.
"Greetings! I'm pleased that someone with knowledge of stone working has found me. You must have been sent by the Gods themselves, guild kin." Argoth closed the book and stood up, shaking Jarl's hand.
"Unfortunately I am unable to reach the Nexus, so all I can get of the pillars there is second hand descriptions. Considering the pillar in New Ryndall and your advice, it would then be best to make the pillars out of a single stone block. I'm sure we can look for those that moved the cannons at the time of the attack on the dark fortress, the weight can't be that much different!" Argoth smiled with the vague sketches of a plan seeming to form at last in his mind for the first time since undertaking this task.

"The workers and architects of Branishor have advised me to practice prying stone blocks from the abandoned mines, to better understand how stone breaks and cracks under different tools. They also suggested a marble block for the pillar itself. What say you Jarl?"

quintine
New Adventurer

Postby quintine » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:41 am

Something has been bothering me. I have been staring at the pillar to Milltown and notice it is black. This is not from age. I have seen marble come in a few different colors but not black. I am beginning to also wonder if the stone has to be from the area you want to go. It would make since to use a stone from the area you wish to travel to as the focal point. The question has not been asked that I know of. What is your thought?
The Milltown pillar is the only one that has any kind of mention on a set type stone. The others in the nexus do not. So It could be either way..
Just something to think on.

Turcko
Veteran

Postby Turcko » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:26 pm

Argoth wakes up from a short break after yet another journey to the mines, to find Jarl Nightshade eagerly sharing thoughts.
"You may be right there. There has to be some way for the pillars to direct enchanters to their destinations. Perhaps the origin of the stone matters as much as the markings" Argoth nodded slowly, taking the idea in.
"Well, the Branishor pillar can easily be made with stone from the nearby mines. It certainly can't hurt to use it. We'll have to see where would be best to acquire the stone for Dundee's and Milltown's pillars" As he said these words, the cleric's mind began scouring his knowledge of both areas.
"For Dundee perhaps something can be dug up from the crater where the strange creatures roam in the nearby plains. As for Milltown, perhaps some stone from the nearby mountains there. It most certainly can't get us into any worse than non-working pillars, hopefully." Argoth laughed lightly.
"Thank you for your wise counsel Jarl Nightshade. I will return to the mines to hone my stone cutting skills."

quintine
New Adventurer

Postby quintine » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:21 pm

"Argoth my friend" Nightshade calls into the darkness of the mines. " I have come to check on your progress." As he walk around looking for his friend.

Turcko
Veteran

Postby Turcko » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:26 pm

Argoth hears a voice echoing through the mines and looks for its source, grinning to find Jarl Nightshade.
"It has been too long since Sunrifter graced my skin I'm afraid, but for good cause, here" Argoth motioned for Nightshade to follow him into an open area of the mines where a marble stone block was laying on top of several Rolling logs. It was just barely longer than Argoth's height.
"I present you the result of my work and study. After some failed attempts and cracked blocks I believe I pryed a sturdy enough one from the Mountain. I polished it a little already to smooth the surface. I was thinking of asking for aid from some of the temple's workers to move it outside and into somewhere that will make it easier to get into the Nexus. What do you think of it?"
He grinned, showing just the slightest hint of pride.

quintine
New Adventurer

Postby quintine » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:46 pm

Nightshade looks upon the stone studying it with a careful eye. Feeling the smooth surface. " It is a nice job you have done my friend. We need to get it into the light and check it for cracks" Nightshade said with a teasing glint in his eyes. " Have you found someone to add the ruins to it?" Looking at the slab with grin. "I think this could work. The measurements seem right."

Turcko
Veteran

Postby Turcko » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:33 am

Argoth smiles pleased with Nightshade's approval "I'm sure there are bound to be some cracks here and there, hopefully not too harmful to the pillar's integrity. As for the runes and markings, I really have no idea of what is needed. I'm certain one of you enchanters will know what to do on that area, I will just provide the pillars." Argoth points to the rolling logs under the stone "I'll get some workers and volunteers from Branishor to help me get this out of the mines and into somewhere easier to work and then move to the Nexus. I guess I'll be moving to the destroyed mills of Milltown next to check for any suitable stone remains there."

Turcko
Veteran

Postby Turcko » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:45 am

Wiping the sweat off his brow Argoth smiles pleased at the stone block that stands in front of him, surrounded by smaller debris of the destroyed mill he had been removing for the past turns.
"This one looks sturdy enough and old enough to be from Waterhaven itself, I'm certain it will suit the enchanter's needs." the cleric mouthed to himself while nodding in approval.
"Hopefully Nightshade will agree that this one is sound enough. I can't even really tell what type of stone this is. Better clean it of moss and soot and smooth the surface a bit." Argoth drank deep from a waterskin by his side before adjusting his clerical robes and smiling. "Best get to it then, there's still the Dundee pillar left afterwards".

quintine
New Adventurer

Postby quintine » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:47 am

" Greetings Argoth my friend. I just stopped in to check on your work." Looking upon the stone the cleric was cleaning. " Not a bad find. Hand me a sanding stone and I will help get this one cleaned." said as he sits next to the stone waiting on the sanding stone.

Turcko
Veteran

Postby Turcko » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:53 am

Argoth grins upon spotting Nightshade and straightens up, placing a hand on his apparently aching back. "You are a welcome sight guild kin, I was about to take a break but with good company I'm sure I can push on for some more marcs." Argoth hands Nightshade a spare sanding stone. "This was the Best block I could find in the rubble of this mill, but if it turns out to be unusable for the New pillar, there are more ruins to scavenge." The cleric utters a dry and tired short laugh before returning to work on cleaning the stone block.

quintine
New Adventurer

Postby quintine » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:19 am

As Nightshade sands on the stone he is humming a tune. The tune was one his father use to hum when working. " I miss working with stone. It has been a long time since I have done this kind of work." he says with a smile to his friend. "I do not miss picking out the stone in the mines though." laughing. The steady pace of the two working on the stone continues for the space of the day. Nightshade with his sore body and achy back calls it a quit for the day. " I don't know about you but I could use a hot meal and a strong drink." said as he stretches. " I shall see you later."

Turcko
Veteran

Postby Turcko » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:55 pm

After turns sanding and polishing the stone block from Milltown's mill, Argoth sighed satisfied. "That's two stone blocks for the enchanters to work with, only Dundee's remaining now" the cleric thought.
After making arrangements to have the stone block transported to somewhere easier for transport to the Nexus, Argoth set his course to Dundee's plains and the crater of strange creatures there.
Upon arrival the cleric surveyed the land. "There was some impact here, just like I recalled. The stone below is easier to reach here, although it won't be an easy task to find suitable stone here" he mused to himself.
Stretching his arms, he couldn't help but smile while gripping his pickaxe "So close but still so far, best get started".
Shortly after, the strange creatures near the crater were startled by the steady sound of pickaxe against rock and dirt.

quintine
New Adventurer

Postby quintine » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:27 pm

" Looks like you might need a guard to protect you while you work" laughing as Nightshade teases his friend. " I am not really sure how far down the impact affected the stone here. It might take some time to find a good piece to work with." said while looking at the stones surface. After saying his peace Nightshaded starts to work along Argoth as they pick the stone on the crater floor. Every so often looking up from his work to see the Strange creatures watching the two work.

Turcko
Veteran

Postby Turcko » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:13 am

Wiping his sweaty brow Argoth smiles "It has been quite some time since these creatures posed a threat to me. But the gremlins further south may prove troublesome. Although I did see a skinny young man going back and forth that seemed to be keeping the little buggers distracted. I'll have to thank him later." The cleric looked at the ground he had been digging for the past marcs. "Actually, I was more hoping to find a decent block of whatever crashed here that caused this crater. Some of the rock is quite different than any other I've ever seen, see." Argoth pointed to a pile of dug small rocks he had set aside, all of a greenish color. "I guess a pillar made of sky rock that has been sitting outside Dundee for years may make a fine focus."
The old cleric smiled fondly "Thank you deeply for all the help and advice you have been giving me Nightshade, you are a True friend."

quintine
New Adventurer

Postby quintine » Tue May 02, 2017 11:22 pm

After days of hard work Nightshade shakes his head. " Looks like we might have to build the Dundee pillar from small blocks my friend. Maybe using those green stones as its center piece." he said with a smile. " It is drawing late. I will see you on the morrow. Don't over work yourself." Nightshade said as he gathers his gear and left.

Turcko
Veteran

Postby Turcko » Wed May 03, 2017 9:01 am

Looking at the several holes in the ground Argoth sighs "I'm afraid you are correct Nightshade. While looking, we did find some larger blocks that we may be able to couple together into a single pillar. The masons at Branishor told me of a technique that consists of making a hole at the center of each block and piling them on each other using a metal pole. We'll just need to choose the larger blocks of this strange green stone and make the holes in the center. But you are correct, some rest is in order. Other turns will come" smiling tiredly, Argoth dragged himself to his guild hall and collapsed on the first vacant bed he found.

Turcko
Veteran

Postby Turcko » Mon May 08, 2017 10:07 am

A tired Argoth looked at the three pillars in front of him, showing them to a smiling Falx.
Branishor's was the tallest, made of marble from the abandoned mines.
Milltown's, made from a block found in the destroyed mills, looking as old as the Golden Age city of Waterhaven even after good polishing.
Dundee's, made from pilled blocks of green stone found in the plain's crater.

All three were arranged on top of rolling logs to make it easier to transport anywhere. "I don't know how you enchanters will get these to the Nexus, but I can't be of much help there. My part is done and my prize is won since I've taken the first steps into becoming a true stone mason. Thank you for giving an old man some sort of purpose, boy".
Falx laughed lightly "To hear you complain when I first approached you a cycle ago, one would think you were going to hit me again good man. Thank you kindly for your efforts. Hopefully they will suffice. May the Gods grant you plenty more turns to be grumpy!"
Argoth managed a tired smile "May they see me live long enough to see you get old too. We'll see who laughs then! Make sure you thank Nightshade as well, his help was most valuable and his knowledge was priceless."

Nodding Falx shook Argoth's hand in farewell and went to look for Bebhinn to let her know the good news.

Miranda of Admin
'Rifterian

Postby Miranda of Admin » Sun May 21, 2017 1:45 pm

Thank you very much for this brilliant piece of writing, I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. I would just like to remind people that role play that occurs on the forum is not echoed in game, and reassure you that this is still part of our ongoing storyline :)

Return to “Lord Cory's Social Hall”