The Hollowed Tree - A plea.

Come here to tell your tales and meet with others. (In-character talk only)
Bifrost Janger
Experienced Adventurer

The Hollowed Tree - A plea.

Postby Bifrost Janger » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:02 am

To my fellow adventurers,

I would respectfully ask that low level adventurers please refrain from hunting and training within the Hollowed Tree and the Gremlins that reside there. I have been studying the tribe that dwell there for over a quarter cycle and fear that acts of violence toward the Gremlin community will be detrimental to any future research.

This turn, we lost seven Gremlins to an Initiate:

Algae
Bevins
Cecil and Clove
Daffodil
Ernie
Fagin

Although polite and obliging when informed of my studies - the Initiate did leave the tree to find new hunting grounds - I fear that trust may have been broken and will not be easily fixed.

I considered petitioning our Queen, but felt like an utter potato at the prospect of writing to a monarch to request protection of a species that many of you consider to be vermin. So, I will rely on the good faith that I have in my fellow humans.

Many thanks!
Remember Gremlins this Winter's Warming!
Mr Bifrost Janger
Fear is a strange soil. It grows obedience like corn, which grow in straight lines to make weeding easier. But sometimes it grows the potatoes of defiance, which flourish underground. - Terry Pratchett

krystoff
Experienced Adventurer

Re: The Hollowed Tree - A plea.

Postby krystoff » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:05 am

As pleasant as this is, what of the "weapon" that is quite useful to initiates? Not to mention I've not seen much improvements by those vermin past thievery...I should know, I'm a thief!
Take what you can, leave none in poverty!

Bifrost Janger
Experienced Adventurer

Postby Bifrost Janger » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:32 am

I would argue that the only creature that has need of a Junk Golem's Rusty Saw is a Junk Golem. It is rather a weighty, cumbersome and useless piece of equipment that may last an Initiate a level or two before discarding, and is obtained through countless Gremlin fatalities and disruption to their home.

I believe I explained everything else well enough in my original request.

I am not asking that you agree with me.
I am not asking that you join me.

I only ask that I am left in peace to continue my work.
Fear is a strange soil. It grows obedience like corn, which grow in straight lines to make weeding easier. But sometimes it grows the potatoes of defiance, which flourish underground. - Terry Pratchett

Olivia Pratt
Experienced Adventurer

Postby Olivia Pratt » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:42 am

*giggles* I kind of agree about the weapon. It is ugly too!
If Valorn is to survive, we must embrace our weaknesses and turn them into our strengths. We can not do this alone. Alone we accomplish very little, but together we can face any challenge. - Anonymous

Topaz
I talk WAY too much

Postby Topaz » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:49 am

I agree that the weapon is both ugly and heavy. However:

a) There are many who disagree.
b) The choice of where and what to hunt should be the individual decision of each adventurer.

Perhaps you could try naming a specific beginning and ending date for your research? I think people might be more willing to avoid the area for a certain length of time.

Bifrost Janger
Experienced Adventurer

Postby Bifrost Janger » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:56 am

a) There are many who disagree.
b) The choice of where and what to hunt should be the individual decision of each adventurer

That is why my plea is posted as a request. Ultimately it is the individual's decision.

I plan to be moving away from the Tree to return to training at the end of Winter's Warming.

Viviyana
I talk WAY too much

Postby Viviyana » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:30 am

I still feel that to allow, encourage, and promote the hunting of a sentient species with language, the ability to build golems and increasing evidence of a culture that worked alongside ours is a blight on humanity. If they come into our cities to attack us, by all means defend. But to enter their living space and systematically slaughter them for loot and a blasted rusty saw is saddening.

We should weigh the potential price of our continued wars with every other species known (save the giants, who should keep their gates shut if they have any sense at all.) against the ease of farming the gremlins.

And in case it needs said, this is very much my own personal opinion and not that of the IO.

krystoff
Experienced Adventurer

Postby krystoff » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:26 pm

*Nods slowly as he ponders* You could try researching in the mines as well. I usually fight them out of defense as I do studies of their homes in search of things long gone dealing with the Golden Age. I do not feel fighting in this manner is wrong when you have an objective in mind, such as the saw. I will agree, however, that senseless slaughtering could have a major and devastating impact on humanity's future.
Take what you can, leave none in poverty!

Viviyana
I talk WAY too much

Postby Viviyana » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:27 pm

I respect the fact that you are fighting them with purpose. I guess, for me, the idea that somehow our want of a saw or even research takes precedence over another race's life is just entitled thinking. Just because we have the might to oppress them and aid in the continuation of their poverty, doesn't give us the right.

Return to “Lord Cory's Social Hall”