Which Path Do I Choose?

Come here to tell your tales and meet with others. (In-character talk only)
rikm
Veteran

Which Path Do I Choose?

Postby rikm » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:56 am

This is something I wanted to share from my character, Durnhem’s view point. Perhaps it will also bring about some discussion. This is not part of Dark Grimoire canon.

Which Path Do I Choose?

This is a difficult question to answer. Some time ago a discussion occurred where the question of which clerical path should one choose? There were three of us one who wears the robes of Ben, and initiate, and me a follower on the path of Cory.

I am not always able to put what I am thinking into words well, but found I had a similar view on the different clerical paths. What does all this mean? I will try and explain.

Let me start by saying that the blessings / anointment's and the ability to heal others are not affected by the path you choose to follow.

There are many gods but it can be said that there are two main gods in the clerical profession, Cory and Ben. At the time this discussion occurred the temple to Miranda had not yet been found. Many wear the robes of the one they have chosen to follow, yet some choose not to wear a robe. And still some follow a different path altogether. Some yet change their path.

When I became one of the cloth I had our gods described as Ben is the offensive one while Cory being the defensive one, at least in spells. Their blessings seem to reflect this. Since I have heard others and myself have come to describe them as Ben being the sword and Cory the shield. Seems very simple to think of them this way but it does seem to fit. I was given the robes of both gods when I became a cleric. Even tried the robes of Ben but they didn’t fit right. Found myself drawn to Cory and his ways.

Some say that the god one follows is determined by which blessings you have an affinity for. I think there is more to it than just that.

While Ben is the god of battle giving us strength, guiding our hand to strike true, and makes our blades edge keener so it strikes cleaner. Cory is the god of life. He gives us light, healing, lightens our load, and protection. I believe he is the one that reforms use when we fall in battle.

A follower of Ben might not be as adept in the ways of Cory. An example of this would be him trying to heal another who was gravely injured. Oh he can do it just fine but may leave a scar. While a follower of Cory may be able to heal without leaving a scar but his strikes may not be as exact or a clean as a follower of Ben. So their roles compliment each other,

Don’t get me wrong I may follow Cory but this wolf still has teeth.

I would have liked to include more on goddess Miranda but I must admit I do not know much about her but I have found her a just god.

As I said before no matter which path we follow we can use the blessings from either god. Just remember that one path is not better than the other, though some may disagree, it is what is right for you.

Durnhem, 125267 Order of the Silver Wolf

Doyle
Social Leech

Re: Which Path Do I Choose?

Postby Doyle » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:20 am

((Again, IC response and IC veiws, lets get a bit of chatter going)).

Good subject... So I shall dive right in.

We all identify with different things, and it really boils down to why you choose to be a Cleric in the first place I think. Do you want to weild the light of the gods and force the darkness back at blade point? Do you want to protect the innocent and keep all from harm? Or is the idea of simply doing the right thing what speaks to you most?

Now I would hope that all Clerics strive to do all those things, but there is likely going to be one objective that calls to you or suits your mind set best. Myself? Well I am a soldier so that should be easy enough to figure out. So I wear the Robes of Ben. My skills lean very heavily towards the martial and I can call upon Ben's Might and channel his Fury easier then other blessings. As Durnhem stated though I can still heal myself and others, but it is very much a quick patch and back into the fight with you as opposed to the care shown by more skilled healers.

So we now approach those that wear Cory's Robes... well he is called the Life Giver for a reason. It is beleived he is very heavily tied with the Life monuments and out ability to survive things that should kill most mortals. In my experiance those that prefer to heal over fight have gravitated to this group. It is not so much they are unskilled in combat but more that they see it as more a nessecary evil I think, though I admit it has been a while since I have had a chance to discuss this properly, hopefully this should change that.

And last but by no means least we come to those that wear Miranda's Robes. Now I have to admit for quite some time it was just a case of Ben and Cory so it was extremely easy to draw the obvious conclusion of Sword and Sheild in regards to how they worked. Then Miranda's Robes were found and I have to admit it gave me pause for thought, espcially without the aid of a particular style of blessing to make it obvious. Though through my observations and attempt to understand how gods work I feel she best represents Justice, and the balance between aggression and defence. Again the thoughts on those that are drawn to her for their Clerical robes would be apprecited.

As a final note, I would like to say it is by no means compulsory for a Cleric to wear a robe, but again it could be nice to hear why some choose not to.

Lavender
Social Leech

Postby Lavender » Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:15 am

I would have to agree with your thoughts on Miranda; "Justice" is a word that suits her well, but not just that. As a cleric that chose to wear her robes, I feel that Miranda is not only a fair goddess but she shows that beauty can still kill, that magnificence and might can still be gentle and true. That not just a sword or ax can kill but a word and deed as well and yet that a kind word or gesture can lift the spirit better than any healing way. She shows us humans how amusing we can be to the gods and to each other by pointing out what we say and do. I think she brings out the best in people when she is about. That is why I proudly wear her robes!

Rosaline
Lavender
Kindness is more important than wisdom, and the recognition of this
is the beginning of wisdom. –Theodore Issac Rubin.
It takes courage to be kind. - Maya Angelou.

rikm
Veteran

Postby rikm » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:26 am

I have also come to seeing goddess Miranda, besides being a just god, as a god of justice. Sort of the balance between Ben and Cory. And it is good hearing from one who has chosen to follow her path.

I would like to hear the views of others. Perhaps you don't wear a robe, perhaps there is not a robe for the path you have chosen, or you have another view.

Durnhem

Return to “Lord Cory's Social Hall”