BEES!

This board contains announcements, discussion and planning for in-game events.
Shirila Blades
Veteran

BEES!

Postby Shirila Blades » Wed May 13, 2009 6:10 am

In honour of Devora Jane (apologies in advance - please do not smite!) The Way of the Just invite you to get creative. We would like people to compose either a short story, limerick or four panel story board on the subject of bees. Serious, funny, whatever it really does not matter. It may include our divine goddess. It may not. It is completely up to you, so long as our little buzzy friends feature.

Prizes will include:

1st place - 3 000 plat, a random scroll and 20 000 potions
2nd place - 2 000 plat, random scroll and 15 000 potions
3rd place - 1 000 plat, 2 WP's and 10 000 potions.

Prizes may be added too as we go on.

The contest will run from now until Midnight GTM on June 11th. Any questions, contact me IG. One entry only per character please. WOTJ members are not permitted to enter - sorry!
Last edited by Shirila Blades on Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Everyone knows the only one unmatched in blade is me. Probably the only one who can claim knowledge of multiple classes is Shirila."
Hacken

"Or you children of today, are children of the grave"
Will never be tamed

AKA Azure
I talk WAY too much

Re: BEES!

Postby AKA Azure » Thu May 21, 2009 1:40 pm

A Fable of Bees and Hives

A beehive is a busy place. It always has been, or so people think. But there was a time the hive was not the industrious place that we think. It took a very special set of circumstances indeed.

Once long ago bees lived on their own. Each had a small home where it would store its honey and other supplies. The problem is, honey is tasty and many creatures would hunt it down. Bee homes were broken open and destroyed, all for the sake of the small amount of honey contained within.

Fewer and fewer bees busied themselves traveling between flowers and collecting what they needed to make honey. "Why should we," they said, "Everyone just steals it anyway." More and more bees stopped doing their jobs as this thought traveled about.

This was a dreadful thing indeed, for while honey is tasty, the jobs the bees do are even more important. Many plants wouldn't thrive and grow without the help of bees. The Gods decided something must be done. They didn't want to have to busy themselves with pollination and things like that. At first they considered making a new creatures, but then they decided to convince the bees to go back to work.

They appointed one from their number to deal with the bees, and Devora Jane was sent. After considering the situation, she shrank some rapiers to perfect bee size and hollowed out a large tree. She summoned the bees and armed them with their new weapons.

"You may only use them once, maybe twice, but they will help you defend yourselves. Fewer will want to attack you knowing they could be hurt in turn." With that, she made as if to leave.

The bees were happier but many still didn't want to go back to their appointed task. One spoke up, gripping her new weapon, "We are small and they will still attack us. Can you help us with that too?"

Devora Jane smiled. "I have made you a larger home," was the response. "Live here together, and you will be the stronger for it." The bees looked at each other and agreed. With that she reached out and touched the one who had just questioned her. The bee grew stronger and fiercer looking. "She will lead you in your new home. For she has proven herself willing to address even the gods with her concerns in order to protect you, her people." And with that, Devora Jane departed.

And so it was done. The bees moved into their new home and found more safety and security in their hive. The queen led them long and well, and when it was her time, the mantle was passed on to one of her daughters.
Azure Greenhills 83729
Lineages!

Jessa Starlight
Adventurer

Postby Jessa Starlight » Fri May 22, 2009 7:54 pm

A small ode for the bees.

The wonderful thing about bees,
('cos bees are wonderful things)
They are cute and yellow and fuzzy,
with tiny fluttering wings.
When noises groan in your tum,
(even though they may sting)
what could be wrong with an insect,
when honey comes out of its bum!
Jessa Starlight - 48570

Urkki
Veteran

Postby Urkki » Sun May 24, 2009 8:13 pm

Short story.

Bees buzz, I like ale.

Ever wondered who sponsored who? Here's your chance to find out: Lineages!

charid for all the contests I forgot to post it for: 29984 ;)

[Null]
Experienced Adventurer

Postby [Null] » Mon May 25, 2009 11:50 pm

A collaborative entry by Asrai and Lucius.

Last edited by [Null] on Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lucius

Lunitari
New Adventurer

Postby Lunitari » Tue May 26, 2009 1:43 am

The Tale of Cedric the Bee and His Quest for Honey Fit For Divinity

For as far back as he can remember there were stories, stories filled with a tone of fantasy, buzzed into words from the elders of a land so filled with beauty as if born into life by nature’s love from a dream into paradise... Only in dreams could he humbly aspire to grasp at imagination of so delicate and perfect a beauty as the tales describe, and here listening to these tales once more he could almost see his dreams made life.

Flowers softer than silk, so fragile and light ,that their petals would float in the winds for marcs without end. Some bright yellow shape as bells whose cones shone bright as transparent beacons as they gently held Sunrifter’s light. Flowers bluer than the sea, whose petals laid open like palms as they gently welcomed the morning dew’s kiss as the beads of water flowed gently down their sides.

Flowers as white as the light whose innocence and charm could soothe the rampaging bos into stopping there stampeding run. Flowers as red as hearts whose words sang in the winds as it flew gently past. Flowers violet and true, lining tall stalks of green like banners unfurl declaring the dawn of spring.

Here as far as the eye could see strewn into bed upon bed these flowers bloomed alongside grand castles whose architecture seemed to have been wrought to blend by the inspiration of there blooms. Harmonious the lands and not plagued by shadow, darkness and pain, a land on the morrow he must once more travel again.

The day breaks and with it the beating of tiny wings transcends to a buzz as leaves tremble in the blowing wind touched by frost even now in the dawn of spring. Soaring over a land still askance and warped, whose flowers lack luster, whose beauty seems lost.

He listens to the sounds of water raging over landfall onto rocks with jagged edges and here in the first rays of light , here awakens the death of night. Further and further from his hive he flies, from sleep with weary stretch the frosty feel of the very first breath, when rays of light blind the still tired eyes and the mist rises like a blanket.

Into this mist he flies, his mind screaming” Oh breath of wind , oh ray of light whose presence near doth sends the darken shadows to flight, Oh trees who bend towards the light your branches extend, find within my heart hope that my treasure will be found at my journey’s end”.

Here within the gentle morn while clouds of white float towards some distant shore, here where held peace and calm under cover of night somewhere in branches held high, a noise, a voice of song, a beacon in answer to his prayer sent by Devora devine.

The singing of birds whose melodies of need, some of hunger some for wanting affection of others to take heed permeate the morning as he wind still rustles the leaves. The scattering of the fallen debris as tiny critter scamper free, leaving little footprints in the floor in the forest so green. The flapping of wings , the shout of sight in the morning the day has begun and the cold of earth turns into a hearth. Here lived life and an answer to his strife, destiny is on his side and for sure his treasure he will find.

Traveling south carefully avoiding the tall black structure, he takes respite on the rafters of Dundee inn where on wooden beam he looked down resting his wing. He looked down as Thorin hummed a melodious sound of snoring. Carefully avoiding a splash, he had to move as Asrai downed another mug of ale, but here again he finds hope by listening to the words of a beautiful poem. Catching his breath at last, off he buzzed to again try to accomplish his task.

Southwest he buzzes past the end of this metropolis finding tenders halls with flowers, all possessing pleasant aromas. Each beautiful flowers holds an appealing ardor, he lands on these petals of beautiful blossoms, but none holding that most perfect of nectar at its core as he does his sampling. It was said to him that flowers hold the essence of the land they inhabit. These hold sweet nectar but touched with teardrops and defiance, empathy, sacrifice and arrogance. Further south he buzzes, into lands more perilous, still seeking the perfect nectar.

Midmorning is here and at last he thinks he has found something precious and rare, two bushes filled with roses, one white, one red. One whose nectar is very much filled with innocence, the other is filled with a beauty so rare, he understands now how once this land did appear. Gathering his prize he buzzes again to the sky homeward bound he flies.

The sweat beads of his with face, his task almost accomplished at last he travels back towards his hive, back to his family, back to make the perfect honey.

There within sight of his home, it stood holding a burning torch. The malice in his eyes was clear, the demon wanted to spread anarchy and despair. The thoughts of his quest flew out of his mind , he knew only that his life mattered less than his clan . His stinger attached to his abdomen was tight, he aimed his tail and stuck it in the neck of the demon with all his might. Its howls was loud and alerted the sentries. As he fell, half of him missing, from the demon tearing him off, and he lands on the ground. Before the demon could do more harm, it was dispatched by Scally, who heard it’s shouts of alarm. All Cerdric could do was smile and offer a thank you for humanity, as he died. Here he was found by the rest of the bees. His nectar lost and thus comes the end of his story.

((P.S. Pictures are of a Carpenter Bee that was on my deck ))
edited for spelling

Lavender
Social Leech

Postby Lavender » Tue May 26, 2009 3:07 am

Buisy, buisy bumble bees flying through the sky
Buisy, buisy bumble bees flying from their hive
Buisy, buisy bumble bees looking for some pollen
For some honey to make for the collony.

Silly, silly bumble bee flying to the inn
Silly, silly bumble bee that is ale that your in, the
Silly , silly bumble bee flying backwards, it is
trying to let the other bees know where the good stuff is.

So watch your ale all you that partake at the inn,
for you just never know when a bee will fly in,
to try to share the that ale you have,
this ale may just have a kick stronger then you've had.
Lavender
Kindness is more important than wisdom, and the recognition of this
is the beginning of wisdom. –Theodore Issac Rubin.
It takes courage to be kind. - Maya Angelou.

Shade Muen
New Adventurer

Postby Shade Muen » Tue May 26, 2009 11:32 am

Burazz stood just outside the Queen's chamber as Kazz approached, looking harried as he strode down the coridor towards where the elderly Advisor waited. On most days the Captain of the Guard's greatcoat was a shining example to his cohorts and underlings of just how a bee in her Majesty's service was expected to be turned out - lush, without a crease, waxed to a point where the black and orange markings seemed to stand apart from the fabric and gleam as if alive. Today there seemed to be nothing but creases in it, with the orange dulled to a brown beeath the grimy film which clung to it.

"Stand aside, Burazz," he said as he approached. "I will see her once more and then never again, and the likes of you will not stop me."
Burazz didn't need to look into the young Captain's eyes to see the hurt that was there. It was all too apparent in his voice.
"She's expecting you," he replied, stepping to the side and opening one of the double doors. As Kazz ducked into the chamber beyond, the Advisor briefly considered following after him, despite his orders. But no, Kazz would not hurt her. That such a notion might enter his head shamed him slightly, and he shut the door without following.

Queen Zerazza sat at the window at the far end of her chamber, peering through the orange tinted film at the night beyond. The gown she wore was, as ever, waxed to the point where it didn't just gleam, but shon, even in the muted moonlight. Her antenna were drawn back, clipped behind her head, her regal features solemn as she gazed through the film. She didn't look up as Kazz entered.

He stared at her for a moment, making sure he had his emotions in full control, before speaking.
"I am leaving."
Still she did not look up.
"I came only to say my farewell."
Zerazza continued to stare out of the window, her expression unchanged.
"If I am followed, I will fight," he went on, his anguish starting to tell in his voice. "Let me be branded a traitor, if that is how it must be. Let me die at the hands of my own bees in some quiet meadow. But I cannot stay here. Not any more."
She sighed softly, closing her eyes.
"Go then," she said softly. "No one will follow you."
Kazz stood, torn for a moment. He did not want to leave. But to stay was to be reminded daily of that which he could not have, that which was forbidden by their society.
"Did it mean nothing to you then?" he asked quietly.
Finally, she looked up at him. Her expression remained solemn, yet her eyes held an unfathomable sadness which was hard to look at.
"I am Queen, Kazz," she whispered. "You knew that from the beginning. You have always known that. My duty is to lie with many, to be the mother of multitudes."
She shook her head, closing her eyes again.
"I cannot give my heart to one bee alone."
He stared at her, struggling, longing to cross to her, to take her in his arms one last time. But it would change nothing. She had made her decision. No matter how much it might hurt him, she had made her decision.
"Farewell then, my Queen," he breathed. The door opened. He was gone.

Zarazza turned back towards the window. Elsewhere in the hive, two of her children began to cry in the dark, and the sound of many rushing feet drifted down the coridor as her drones rushed to take care of them. Zarazza kept her eyes trained on the window, no longer seeing the scenery outside, until she had wrestled the tears back down beneath her emotions where they belonged. When she was ready, she rose from her seat and went to look in on her offspring herself.
Don't follow me...I'm lost too
Char#76728

Korba
Veteran

Postby Korba » Wed May 27, 2009 8:24 pm

Doesn't meet your entry requirements so just for fun:

Korba

KenjMurmota
New Adventurer

Re: BEES! Interperated by Kenj

Postby KenjMurmota » Wed May 27, 2009 11:41 pm

My thought on a fabled origin of the bee.. Once upon a time when the world was young there lived a rather peculiar family whom were all bladesingers.. Their prowess was unmatched most people feared them in a dual.. Being rather well off they had an aristocratic view of anyone who has become hard on their luck calling them peasant and trodding on their misfortunes.. Their fame, fortune, arrogance and fear has grown entwined as time passed until it was noticed by the Gods.. One day as the family was training in a roped field as a blast of lightning split the sky with a peel of thunderous voices saying ''We have been watching you and have seen your ways of life..'' the family glares up at the sky unafraid with a shaking of fists in challenge.. With a laugh at the feeble challenge the Gods speak again ''As punishment for your defying ways we shall do this..'' the voices stop as another bolt of thunder sable in color envokes the heavens crashing down upon the family.. -continued in 2nd post due to phone limit-
Kenj Murmota-173295

KenjMurmota
New Adventurer

Re: BEES! Interperated by Kenj

Postby KenjMurmota » Thu May 28, 2009 12:14 am

Screams from the family sound as their bodies pop and snap shifting form and shrinking fuzz, wings and extra limbs sprouting from their forms.. The Gods now smile with approval seeing the family ''You now shall be called bee's. For you are no longer human.. The gold stripes we have placed upon your form in warning to others of defiance..'' the family now notices their stings wondering what they are for.. ''Your weapons now stingers we have fused upon your body tho realize the use of them may equal certain death. Too long have you inflicted fear with your weapons.. Now you must use them if all else fails.'' A sudden streak of lightning hits the family's home and all their valuables within changing them drastically.. ''Your home has been changed to a hive and now your valuables...... Are a treasure now sought out by all.'' their gold having been turned into a sweet golden liquid ''And that is honey.'' they speak. To the father they have appointed the warrior bee, the mother now appointed the queen bee and the sons are now drone and worker bees ''Now you must work hard to make your new gold and learn humility. Your lives are now cursed.'' the Gods murmur their approval deeming that the lesson and warning to all has been
Kenj Murmota-173295

Sorynn
Experienced Adventurer

Postby Sorynn » Thu May 28, 2009 2:03 pm

A "Bee" Rated Limerick

Devora Jane gave us some bees.
Many others this did please.
Snooping in a rosebush,
Stung on the hiney tush!
And now I sit weeping on my knees.

Sorynn

Shirila Blades
Veteran

Postby Shirila Blades » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:15 am

Still a little over a week left. Depsite current happenings, the contest still stands. :)
"Everyone knows the only one unmatched in blade is me. Probably the only one who can claim knowledge of multiple classes is Shirila."
Hacken

Will never be tamed

Pallas
Veteran

Postby Pallas » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:14 pm

Bees are quite wonderful things
(So long as you watch out for stings)
Their honey, I read,
Can be made into mead.
So a bee is - a brewer with wings!

Pallas

The joke is on the bloke who never spoke a word at all
But whose dreams lay unrevealed 'til they were rotten ...

Lindisfarne 'The Things I Should Have Said'

Topaz
I talk WAY too much

The Bees of Valorn

Postby Topaz » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:55 pm

In the gardens of Sunrifter Castle there walked Devora Jane, who loves bees and all things pertaining to them.

Since her beginning -- and who can measure or determine when, or how, a goddess has her being? -- she had watched with joy the ways of those creatures -- their pleasing forms, their industrious ways, their loyal and cooperative culture, and their creation of sweet and useful substances.

And as she walked in the gardens, the young goddess sang to herself, "Bees are the most beautiful and worthy of all creatures, and no other is like unto them."

But the god Ben, the mighty World Builder, who alone knows all, said to her, "It is not so, for I know of another creature like unto the bee, and it too dwells upon Trinald, the world that I have made."

And he spoke no more. And Devora Jane was troubled with curiosity. For she knew that the word of the god Ben was true, and so she wondered greatly what this other creature could be, and she could not rest until she set out to find it and behold its wonders.

And as she descended on her search, she noted the bees, building their homes and fortresses; she watched their warriors and nurses and explorers; she saw them swarm when their hive was in danger, fighting the enemy even unto death; and she saw them all gather to defend their Queen. Each of the different kind of bee was needed, in order for the whole hive to be well. She saw them make beautiful and useful things for themselves and others. And she heard them sing.

"How can it be," she sang to herself, "that there is another creature like unto the bee?"

Then she came to Valorn.

She saw the castle of Caer Laleldan and the tower of Branishor. And all over Valorn she saw the guild houses, built by the hands, the wealth, the time, and the dreams of the adventurers of Valorn, as the bees build their hives cell by cell.

She saw warriors armed with swords, and clerics who gently nurtured the newest adventurers and healed those who fought, and enchanters moving swiftly over the land in search of new things, and rogues finding their way into any place that might be worth exploring. Each of the four adventuring professions was needed, in order for the land to survive. And when danger threatened their homes or their Queen, they swarmed to fight it, bristling with weapons, poisons and spells to weaken the foes, and shields like mighty wings -- even unto death. She watched their craftsmen make things -- weapons, and armor, and healing salves, and food, and magical jewels.

And she heard them sing. They sang the same songs as the bees' songs: sunrise songs, evening songs, battle songs, love songs, lullabies, and songs of praise to the gods.

And Devora Jane rejoiced and sang also:

The World Builder spoke; his words are true:
As bees most fair fly to the Sun,
to Sunrifter's halls to hail the gods,
so people of Valorn, adventurers all,
rise up, living, reach for the light,
building and growing, blessed every day,
coming at last to Cory's light.

Topaz

Shirila Blades
Veteran

Postby Shirila Blades » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:19 am

Thanks to everyone who entered. I shall announce the winners shortly when a decision has been made by us all.
Hacken

Will never be tamed

Shirila Blades
Veteran

Postby Shirila Blades » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:20 pm

Thank you to all who have entered. We enjoyed reading them all. After almost an hour of "debating", the places are awarded as follows:

1st Place - Pallas

2nd Place - Azure

3rd Place - Lunitari

Please contact me IG to collect your prizes.
Hacken

Will never be tamed

Lunitari
New Adventurer

Postby Lunitari » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:45 am

I thank you all for organizing such a magnificent contest in honor of the Goddess Jane. It was an honor to have participated *smiles*

AKA Azure
I talk WAY too much

Postby AKA Azure » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:43 pm

Thank you for holding and keeping the contest going. It was fun reading the different entries.
Azure Greenhills 83729
Lineages!

Shirila Blades
Veteran

Postby Shirila Blades » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:55 pm

No problem, Azure. There was no real reason not too.
Hacken

Will never be tamed

Return to “Contest and Event Planning”