The Crafter’s Challenge

This board contains announcements, discussion and planning for in-game events.
Viviyana
I talk WAY too much

The Crafter’s Challenge

Postby Viviyana » Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:56 pm

LEAF is excited to bring you:

The Crafter’s Challenge

Everyone is good at something. Crafts can come in all shapes and sizes: carving, pottery, painting, planting, mixing, brewing, writing, singing, acting and more. In celebration of our many skills we are offering a contest like no other.

Create something. (( And our wonderful admin will reward you with the item. ))

This is not a contest where only a few will win, if you put in the effort and earn 75 points you have won the challenge. In fact, supporting other's efforts to create their items will only help you earn yours!

This challenge is meant to be for everyone! Even if you don't have a skill and are wholly untalented...you can earn the points by learning a skill!

It was designed in the hopes of giving everyone a chance, so if you have a talent and don't think it will fit in, please ask me and we can brainstorm a way!

Deadline: May 21st, 2016 Midnight EST (Five weeks!)

Details:

One entry PER CHARACTER ( Just be respectful and don't create a bunch of alts to play with each other and exist for the sole purpose of getting an item ;) )

The objectives of this contest are two fold. The first is simple, create something. This something can be in any form - from object, to play, to performance and beyond. If you have a skill we can make it work, if you need ideas just ask! The second objective is to share your knowledge and love of your medium with the world.

This contest will be judged on a point system as follows.
(( Explanations for each can be found below.))

• RP a scene involving your craft - 5 points
  • Involve another person in that scene - 5 points
  • Announce and hold a demonstration or event with your craft - 20 points
  • Attend a demonstration or event on another person’s craft - 5 points
  • Description of your final project. - 20 points

**RP a scene involving your craft - 5 points**

This is the actual creation of your thing, or a rehearsal for your play, or gathering research for a tome by interviewing, or practicing a performance, etc. ( Save a partial log and send it along for proof, if you don’t have the ability to save logs, just describe what you did. )

**Involve another person or persons in a scene - 5 points**
( 5 points total per scene, not per person. So if you involve three people in the scene it is five points for all of them. )

Enlist another person to help rp out making the item, or gather actors to rehearse, or even meet up with someone to trade for materials for your project. This should be organic rp. The scene must be about your craft, so if you are doing a carving and go help someone out with their weaving project you don't get points. However, if you are a carver want-to-be and rp a scene of learning to carve from someone then you both get points for yourself and for the other person. (This is different than attending an officially announced event.)

**Announce and hold a demonstration or event with your craft - 20 points**

This doesn’t have to be about the specific project itself, just the medium you use. So if you are writing a play, for instance, you could hold a casting call. A brewer could have a brewing class, or even an ale tasting event. A weaver can teach about dying wool, and so on. Because we know how things go, you get the points even if no one makes it to the event, you still did your part! The event does, however have to be officially announced on the notice board.(( You do NOT get 5 extra points for each attendant, just 20 regardless of who shows up..))

**Attend a demonstration or event on another person’s craft - 5 points**

Support your fellow crafters, go to an event, learn something new and participate.

** Description of your final project. - 20 points**

If you create an item just a paragraph long description of the item, if you do a written work that will act as a final project. This one is required for all projects for obvious reasons.

To Enter:

Sign up below with name and craft, then go out and have fun! If you are a more private type you can shoot Viviyana off a pm as well.

Let me know of tasks as you complete them (Message Viviyana through the forums), and I will keep a record of points earned. (Keep a record yourself as well, of course.)

(( The fine print: These are for rp purposes only, so no trying to make the sword of ultimate destruction, or the potion that cures everything! If your craft IS forging armor or a weapon it will come with the stats of the basic sword/armor. If your craft is more performance oriented, then include the item you think will best fit with the rp...for instance if your craft is sword dancing, perhaps the item you earn could be an ornate sword to dance with.

Items will not be created until after the close of the contest (even if you finish early). Admin has the right to edit the description if needed. Icons for items are not promised. Please be patient while admin creates the items. Who knows what other stuff they might have going on at that time :) ))

A huge thank you to all the many minds that worked on this idea and for admin for their willingness to bring your creations to 'life'

Further Clarification:

I have gotten some questions so just thought to give some clarification.

If your project morphs during the course of your work, that is fine. However, if you project changes completely (You start sewing a dress and then change to pottery) then the points earned towards making your dress don't count to earn you pottery.

This is, in essence, the rp of your craft, so with the exception of attending an official event organized by another person ( an official event posted on the notice board, set time and date etc.) you don't earn points by rping something that has nothing to do with your craft.

Again, if your craft doesn't have a specific item, or you are hoping for the tools for your craft etc. that is fine as long as it is related to your craft. In which case you can rp having the item or so on. For example, if your craft is knitting and you rp having knitting needles and want those needles as your end project.

A bit of clarifications on the point system:

Scenario 1

Topaz shows Zarock how to do armor type things to scales.

Topaz gets 10 points...5 for her and 5 for including Zarock.

Zarock gets new knowledge, gets to help a friend and some rp, but because his craft has nothing to do with making armor he gets no points towards that craft.

(We didn't want to make an atmosphere where people were only rping for points :) )

Scenario 2

Drecq and Kenji get together to swap advice and work on their swords together. Drecq shows Kenji some things, Kenji shows Dreq some things.

Drecq gets 10 points...5 for himself and 5 for Kenji

Kenji gets 10 points...5 for himself and 5 for Drecq

( This was deliberately designed to encourage learning a craft or teaching a craft. If you rp out helping someone learn their craft you both get 10 points each session.)

Scenario 3

Ellyana hosts a hair piece making event, she officially announces it, sets a time and date and makes it open to everyone.

Bris attends the event that has nothing to do with his craft.

Ellyana gets 20 points for hosting an official event.

Bris gets 5 points for supporting his fellow crafter (the only way to earn points outside of your craft)

I hope that clarifies some things! Basically if it is your craft you get points for it. If not, and not an official event, you don't.
Last edited by Viviyana on Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.

ZarockNight
Veteran

Re: The Crafter’s Challenge

Postby ZarockNight » Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:24 pm

Sure
Portrait painting oif Viviyana
Starting this turn with a class/ demo

Viviyana
I talk WAY too much

Postby Viviyana » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:20 pm

ZarockNight wrote:Sure

A portrait would be great! Viv would make a horrible subject though...not to mention model. Although, if you could figure out how to make her sit still I would appreciate it!

Viviyana
I talk WAY too much

Postby Viviyana » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:36 pm

Just edited above to add some details. Edits in red.

Topaz
I talk WAY too much

Postby Topaz » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:48 pm

Topaz will be attempting to make something she has always wanted: wyvern-scale armor. She may also write a poem about it.

(OOC: Viviyana said I could change my project since I haven't actually started it.)
Last edited by Topaz on Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tess Weaver
New Adventurer

Postby Tess Weaver » Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:11 pm

I will be following the craft of my family and dyeing, weaving, and sewing cloth.

Tess Weaver

Ellyana Lilli
I talk WAY too much

Postby Ellyana Lilli » Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:21 pm

I will be making a nature-inspired decorative hair comb to be worn in the hair, and of course at some point demonstrating. =)

(ooc - Since Elly is making a decorative hairpin type comb, that is what she will demonstrate and others can join in and make a haircomb, hairstick, headband with her - or just watch. :))
Last edited by Ellyana Lilli on Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:32 am, edited 4 times in total.
'When there's no more room in Hell, the dead will walk the Earth' ~George A. Romero
'Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart'

Ellyana - 118743

ZarockNight
Veteran

Postby ZarockNight » Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:23 pm

Viviyana wrote:

A portrait would be great! Viv would make a horrible subject though...not to mention model. Although, if you could figure out how to make her sit still I would appreciate it!

Mass amounts of lemontarts

Dabria
Social Leech

Postby Dabria » Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:17 pm

ZarockNight wrote:
Viviyana wrote:

Mass amounts of lemontarts

Nah ... Duct tape! ;)

*wanders off to ponder the merits of inventing Ye Olde Ducte Tape*
"Stabbing someone is no longer considered rude. Rather, it is now an acceptable method in which to end a conversation."
~Richard~

Quasha wrote:I'd pretend shock, but it's Dabria the Inappropriate.

ZarockNight
Veteran

Postby ZarockNight » Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:18 am

Dabria wrote:

Mass amounts of lemontarts[/quote]

Nah ... Duct tape! ;)

*wanders off to ponder the merits of inventing Ye Olde Ducte Tape*[/quote]
Looks like plan B is set

Viviyana
I talk WAY too much

Postby Viviyana » Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:25 am

Just wait until she has some tarts before applying the duct tape. :lol:

ZarockNight
Veteran

Postby ZarockNight » Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:37 am

Viviyana wrote:Just wait until she has some tarts before applying the duct tape. :lol:

No guarantees

Turcko
Veteran

Postby Turcko » Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:27 am

Ivan Monde would like to learn how to carve wooden toy figures.
He has one of Islander that is crudely self-made, and would love to learn how to make a proper one.
He already carries a basalt knife so he'll be hunting for a good piece of wood and a teacher/mentor :)
Turcko, Falx Monde, Ivan Monde, Argoth

Dimitri Petrov
Veteran

Postby Dimitri Petrov » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:05 am

Note to self: find time for this despite busy schedule :|

Live life with no regrets.

Brisingr Blaze
Social Leech

Postby Brisingr Blaze » Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:28 pm

**Oops, posted it again, but the latest is the completed one**
Last edited by Brisingr Blaze on Mon May 09, 2016 1:55 am, edited 8 times in total.

Kenji Muramota
Experienced Adventurer

Postby Kenji Muramota » Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:09 pm

This should be interesting (I recall my last attempts at forging a sword. Btw thank you Admin for some of my most memorial rp and char growth with such.) And Bris I shake my fist at you for pulling from my cave for this. (Much love bro. And gotta shake my cobwebs off.)
Stare into the Abyss... Feel the Darkness of the First Sins stare back.

Kenji Muramota-173295

ZarockNight
Veteran

Postby ZarockNight » Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:20 pm

Question, what if the final "product" is either not tangable like a play or not a general item like a painting or a toy?

Olivia Pratt
Experienced Adventurer

Postby Olivia Pratt » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:37 am

Ellyana Lilli wrote:I will be making a nature-inspired decorative hair comb to be worn in the hair, and of course at some point demonstrating. =)

(ooc - Since Elly is making a decorative hairpin type comb, that is what she will demonstrate and others can join in and make a haircomb, hairstick, headband with her - or just watch. :))

I'm going to go to Elly's event and make a butterfly hair comb! I think that would be so much fun!
If Valorn is to survive, we must embrace our weaknesses and turn them into our strengths. We can not do this alone. Alone we accomplish very little, but together we can face any challenge. - Anonymous

Dimitri Petrov
Veteran

Postby Dimitri Petrov » Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:41 am

ZarockNight wrote:Question, what if the final "product" is either not tangable like a play or not a general item like a painting or a toy?

Maybe a specific example is in order?

Live life with no regrets.

ZarockNight
Veteran

Postby ZarockNight » Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:58 am

it said if some one gets enough points and crafts an object the Admins might grant them the craft they made, what if they did a play, or a song or a poem. Or in my case a painting.

Return to “Contest and Event Planning”