A book you'd write

This board contains announcements, discussion and planning for in-game events.
Urkki
Veteran

A book you'd write

Postby Urkki » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:58 pm

(Thank you RoK and RoK 6th birthday contest for original idea)

Valorn's libraries need more books of all sorts, I think so anyway...

And since it is my contest, you all have to do what I want. *nods*

And what I want is:

Title of book, description and sample of content. Sample of content isn't necessarily required though, but entry with sample is more likely to win. :wink:

Prizes: (to be determined bit later)
Something along the lines of amulets, boxes and scrolls, maybe plats too

Deadline:
7th of March, at whatever time that I feel like, so probably better not to wait for last moment.

Ever wondered who sponsored who? Here's your chance to find out: Lineages!

charid for all the contests I forgot to post it for: 29984 ;)

[Null]
Experienced Adventurer

Re: A book you'd write

Postby [Null] » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:01 pm

Last edited by [Null] on Sun May 29, 2011 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lucius

AKA Azure
I talk WAY too much

Postby AKA Azure » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:02 pm

Title: How to clean almost anything
Description: this book is a guide to how to remove the toughest stains, scuffs and other marks that the adventurous life can bring to a person.

Table of contents:

Introduction: Don't worry, be tidy.
You spilled what?
Man, that's going to stain... not anymore!
Homemade cleaning agents
Care of cloth, fur and other fabriclike things
Care of armor and other metals
Zombie Goo - a special note
Demon Ichor - use homemade demon-b-gone
Acids - just because it burns doesn't mean it can't be removed
Conclusion
Azure Greenhills 83729
Lineages!

asrai
Adventurer

Postby asrai » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:53 am

The Travelers Guide to Ale

There are some of us who are known for our love of ale and the inn’s that they are sold in. I have decided to create a book of the many inn establishments in hopes that no one will ever have to travel far and not find that beloved mug of ale.

Contents:

Dundee Inn
Milltown Inn
Fleur’s
Swashbuckler
Traveller’s Rest
Inn of Questionable Quality
Port Perfadis Inn
Last Chance Inn
Building of Glass Tavern
Cerbies
Caernivale Pub
Inn of Good Health
Rolling Inn

Chapter One

Dundee Inn

Ale can be found here.

Chapter Two

Milltown Inn

Ale hats can be found here.

Chapter Three

Fleur’s

Ale can be found here.

Auda
New Adventurer

Postby Auda » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:28 pm

A Cook Book.
The Book bound of cured Bos hide dyed in cream colour, it's pages of paper, the text in black ink. On the Front it reads, VALORNIAN RECIPES in black

On the title page is a dedication. This book is dedicated to the chefs and gourmets of Valorn who's creative cooking enriches our lives.

Content divided into
Soups
Savouries (appetizers and snacks)
Main Courses (or Entrees which ever is better)
Desserts
Drinks

Mouthwatering recipes such as Ale Butt Herbed Hen , Ale Cake, Korunga Shake, Kabobs, Fritters and many more can be found on the forum for example here: http://forums.darkgrimoire.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=9685&p=82172&hilit=ale+cake#p82172

(A book in working progress updated as new delicacies appear)
Auda

Boy Svalbard
New Adventurer

Postby Boy Svalbard » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:31 pm

I've decided that there's too much non-fiction writing in Valorn, so my submission is a novel "inspired by true events" for the fiction section of your local Valornian library.

TITLE: Chaos in the Crags

DESCRIPTION: A fictional account of one man's journey with the Deadrock Expedition and the mysterious and chaotic events that resulted in the demise of the Expedition and all its members.

EXCERPT: He awoke with a start, his heart racing as he scrambled from a prone position onto his hands and knees. His eyes searched the campsite for movement of any kind, but nothing stirred. He strained to make sense of the shadowy figures before him, as the pre-dawn hour made it difficult to see in the murky darkness. The quiet flapping of fabric from someone’s tent was the only sound he heard. Slowly and quietly he rose to his feet. With one hand on the hilt of his sword, he began to move stealthily away from his bedroll towards the rest of the camp. A shiver went up his spine as he worked his way across the rocky terrain, probably because of the chilly wind that blew from the east, but perhaps it was a shiver of anxiety at the situation.

As he reached the tent, he realized that it was not an open tent flap that was blowing in the wind, but rather the ravaged remains of what had once been a tent. The fabric was torn in multiple places, and one of the support poles had been snapped. Bits of personal belongings, rings, amulets, and parchment were scattered on the ground nearby. He drew his sword from its sheath and peered through the darkness into the tent. There was no sign of anyone inside. He quickly moved to the next tent, only to find a similar scene. Moving from tent to tent he realized that something terrible had happened – but what, exactly he could not be sure.

As the eastern horizon began to glow, signaling the impending arrival of Sunrifter, the magnitude of the situation became clear. The faint light revealed a camp in complete disarray. Tents ravaged, their contents scattered throughout the area. In the places where rocky dirt covered the granite plateau, footprints could be seen moving in every direction. He tried to follow them, but there seemed to be no order or pattern, as if whomever left them was moving in multiple directions all at once. He began to panic, and realized that he needed to get help. He moved quickly across the camp, heading toward the tent of Mr. Deadrock. As he came around the patch of berry bushes that separated the leader’s tent from the rest of the camp, a sense of dread and terror started to well up in his gut. Charred logs were scattered around the fire pit that held a roaring fire the night before. Sooty footprints led from the pit toward Mr. Deadrock’s tent. The table that had once held the expedition’s maps and charts was overturned and its contents scattered across the rocky ledge. One of the legs had been broken off and was nowhere to be found. He moved across the site slowly and carefully lifted the flap of the tent with the blade of his sword. Sunrifter’s dawn light streamed into the tent through a large tear in the back of the tent. Mr. Deadrock’s bedroll was torn and soiled. There was a sour smell coming from somewhere inside the ravaged tent. As he continued to examine the remains of his leader’s quarters, he began to feel as though he was not alone. Suddenly, the light from Sunrifter was gone, as if someone was blocking the opening of the tent behind him. As he started to turn, he felt something solid strike the back of his head. Sharp pain shot through his body and everything went dark.

Urkki
Veteran

Postby Urkki » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:04 am

Good entries so far, still some days left so...get to it. ;)

zeldin blue
New Adventurer

Postby zeldin blue » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:18 pm

travelers guide of the traveled

description of the book itself,
a compact tome its covers made of thick hardened verthagebark to endure the toughest of terrains and weather, bound together with the finest boss hide to keep the tomes pages in for however long the user travels. when opened, the writing seems to be made with neatly scrolled lettering with a dark blue inc.

description of the book for the reader,

A great volume of places a traveler should visit on his journey through the lands of trenald, including top ten places to get food, drink and also topten lists for watching awestriking sunsets, sunrises, and places to camp and fish.
its a book of things to be aware of while traveling and provides information of landmarks and areas you might travel through and even has a section to let you know where the nearest life monument is for your convinience.

heres an exserpt from the book,

The fishing hotspots can be catagorized in to several sections, but the main things to look for are the type of fish, i e fresh water and saltwater fish, and the variety of larger and smaller fish to be found, but when looking for the best places to catch a fish all considerations go in to place here to give an accurate list of the best places.

top ten hotspots to fish
number 1 is the dundee lake peer. providing boats to travel amidst the great lake to find your favorite place, consist of some of the best fish and even had a merchant to provide all your fishing means, including some fried fish if you come up empty handed.
number 2 is the small pond by the farm in milltown. though small, the pond has a multitude of great fish to catch and never seems to run out dispite the number of people traveling around its paths
number 3 is the beaches of kilican island, though dangerous to trek through the beaches th;emselves, the water around the island provides a great place to pick up some great fish!
end of exerpt

Blythe
I talk WAY too much

Postby Blythe » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:31 pm

Title: Sabal's Swan Song

Description: Fantastic falsities for the fearless fiction fan.

Abstract: When a young apprentice blacksmith is exiled by his master, who would have thought his worst mistake would lead him to discovering a power beyond his wildest dreams? Left for dead outside the safety of the city walls, Sabal finds himself in the world of his nightmares. But for Sabal the wilderness holds more than just danger – after all, with nothing left to live for he has nothing else to lose. Based on the legends of the Golden Age, this stunningly original work of fiction follows Sabal from the lowest point of his life to his glorious discovery that will forever shape the fate of the world. From zero to hero, will Sabal survive to bask in the glory of the ultimate discovery?
I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am :D
Raffe Rychmin

10x2

Zanaan
Veteran

Postby Zanaan » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:40 pm

Title: 101 Uses For A Lockpick

Description: This book is bound in tanned bos leather, and held fast by a large, elaborate lock mechanism on the front. A closer examination reveals many small scratches in and around the lock, as if someone or something tried opening it but failed, as the lock remains firmly in place.
Order Adjutant Viviyana raises her hands to receive the Blessing of Zanaan's Presence , "Oh, thank you."

sust
Adventurer

Postby sust » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:45 am

Title: What in the World Was I Thinking

It would be a book on all the trials and tribulations that I have gone through being an enchanter. The binding would be made from the same material as the Korunga skin Pants.

Chapter titles:

Before Being an Enchanter
A Test of Patience, or getting gold and Orange spells
Can I Level more Slowly
Another and more Difficult Test of Patience, or Getting Red Spells
Can My Gear Get more Expensive
Leveling Even More Slowly
A Even greater Test of Patience, or Getting Blue Spells
Thank You Ben (for adding more spells)
The Final Test of Patience or getting the new spells for the Horrors in the Dead Zone
The Most Fun Part of Being an Enchanter

Anu Shadowryder
Last edited by sust on Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

vardian
Experienced Adventurer

Postby vardian » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:45 pm

Although V is not very materialistic she does still like lovely things and I have always been fascinated with the jewelry etc that crops up so my entry for a factual book is:

Treasures of Trinald

Things of Beauty and Acclaimed Rarity With Full Pictorial Engravings To Delight The Reader

Contents:

Introduction
A brief insight into the crafts and skills of jewelry makers on Trinald and where they might be found.

A History Of Jewelry Making
A history on the tools and methods of the jewelry-making craft and how items have developed over the years. This might mention plainer pieces discovered of old and then move onto the ability to set gems and stones with ever-increasingly elaborate designs. It might also mention that some ideas have been taken from other races and even creatures as to what materials are useable (for example silks rather than metals). A mention of why jewelry is produced and how its meaning has changed over the years.

Materials Used In Jewellery Making

Several Chapters Listing Different Gemstones and What They Might Be Used For
For example -

Mire Gems
Obsidian
Fine Jewels
Swamp Stone
Gold
Silver

Several Chapters On Particular Places:
For example –

The Jewelry of Iscax
The Jewelry of Rynn

Famous Pieces In History
Several Chapters on Specific Known Items (To Include Where Appropriate Who Wears It)
For example –

The Crown of Thespis
Fall Festival Ring
Ring of Hope
The Crown of Valorn (Queen Cordelia)
Rainbow Necklace (Miranda of Admin)

Example Extract from The Jewelry of Rynn:
….finest of materials. No-one can know for certainty where the enchanter’s great skills were learned, but his workshop remains one of the fore-most outlets for fine jewelry in all of Valorn and beyond its borders and holds the widest stock of any merchant. Princely jewels come at a costly price, of course, and this is as true in Rynn’s emporium as anywhere. Quality is assured however and his pieces remain highly sought after. Particularly popular are the rings that are designed and manufactured to his specification and they have come to be great symbols both for the giver and the recipient.

Example Extract from Rainbow Necklace
This is one of the most extraordinary pieces ever viewed by human eyes and is worn by the most gracious goddess The Noble Viscontessa Miranda of Admin. Whenever her omnipotent presence is revealed to adventurers its light dazzles the eye and its breathtaking beauty draws the attention of all who appreciate great artistry. This is not a piece that could be worn around any human throat being constructed as it is from the rarest of golden centaur hairs which bind rainbows in all their glory within each……….

Vardian - 14458

Thanks Urkki - GREAT idea!

Hojo Musachi
I talk WAY too much

Postby Hojo Musachi » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:59 pm

The Alliance’s guide to camping

Chapter 1 Useful tools for camping in the wild
Chapter’s 2 through 20 and part of the back cover has been torn out. Written on the reaming part of the back cover ~ Rule 1, carry a common book ,keep it dry. It’ll help when starting a fire.

"I'm afraid, Isoyami, I have probably already said more than was bought by the Knight's kiss " - Shaerih

Topaz
I talk WAY too much

Postby Topaz » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:50 am

The Rescue of Figmar
Author: Topaz

This large volume, carefully bound in tanned bos hide and decorated with gold, contains the complete text of the play The Rescue of Figmar, which recounts one of the adventures of the enchanter Figmar the Sage.

EXCERPT:

ACT II. Night. A remote and mountainous region of Valorn.

WARRIOR: Night spreads its cloak, beneath which we should rest.
We cannot track while darkness rules the land.

ROGUE: 'Tis so. Among these mountains let us lie
in some ravine or cavern, with a fire
at cavern's mouth, for warmth and safety's sake.

CLERIC: Yes, for these mountains show no trail or pass,
nor are they known or charted. We are lost.

WARRIOR: Can we not find our bearings by the stars?
Look how they brightly burn, to light our way!
And each depicts a story, I am told.

CLERIC: A story or a picture in the stars
many have seen. Behold the Demon's Eye,
the Scorpion and the Bos, the beauteous Queen,
the Warrior and the Sage. Across the sky
these hold their pageantry, adorned in light.

WARRIOR: The Sage I do not know. Pray, tell that tale.

(The CLERIC points at the sky)

CLERIC: The Sage is seated, with a mage's staff
held in his hand and pointing. It depicts
the great enchanter Figmar the Astute,
whose many exploits surely you have heard.
'Twas he who overcame the Silver Maze,
who found the Rainbow Goblet, and at last
answered the cryptic Riddle of the Plague.

WARRIOR: Is his the story written in the stars?

CLERIC: What say you?

WARRIOR: In that parchment we have found,
"Read in the stars," it says, "the sage's story."

CLERIC: I had not thought, but surely it might be.

ROGUE: Look, a star falls! How bright its flaming path!

CLERIC: By Ben the Mighty and by Cory's light!
It falls indeed, and seemed to fall so close
that I might catch its brilliance in my hand,
brighter than jewel or than dragon-fire,
a flashing spark, straight from Miranda's eyes.

ROGUE: So says the cleric, but I do declare
that where it fell was not too distant hence
from this, the valley where we chose to rest.

WARRIOR: If it is truly here, and truly shines,
and is no false illusion, let us go,
with our own eyes to see the wondrous sight.
Though all is dark, such light will show the way.

(ROGUE, WARRIOR, and CLERIC go in the direction of the fallen star.)

ACT III. Night. An unknown valley.

CLERIC: I see the light! Lo, where it brightly shines
from that low place or cavern-mouth ahead.

ROGUE: I too behold the light, but is it sure
that 'tis that selfsame star that fell from high
and not some evil or demonic glow?

CLERIC: What demon-fire could rival godly starlight?

ROGUE: But why would starlight shine from underground?

CLERIC: A fallen star might carve a crater deep.

(The WARRIOR goes forward.)

WARRIOR: Now downward to the cavern let us go
to seek the light, for I can see it well,
an eerie glow, not star nor demon-fire,
but blue and swirling, an enchanter's gate.

ROGUE: A portal here in this uncharted place?
Without a doubt a riddle deep and strange,
and, it may be, of dangerous design.

CLERIC: What of the fallen star? I see no trace,
yet surely its descent was very nigh.

(The CLERIC, WARRIOR, and ROGUE move closer to the portal)

ROGUE: There are no footprints in the dust to show
who came this way, or when, to cast this gate,
or where it leads.

CLERIC: But surely 'tis a sign
sent from the gods themselves, that we should seek
the answer to this shining mystery!

ROGUE: The gods themselves have sent us wits to use,
so to avoid the jaws of needless peril
and foolish chances which avail us naught.

WARRIOR: The gods love courage. I shall lead the way.

CLERIC: The gods are worthy of our trust. Lead on
and I shall follow, for I feel the call
of some unknown, unfathomed mystery.

ROGUE: Then I shall follow after, but be warned
that if this errand ends in all our deaths,
my dying words will be "I told you so."

Urkki
Veteran

Postby Urkki » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:51 am

The contest has ended. Thank you all for participating.

Winners will be announced here: Party & Bookfair

Urkki
Veteran

Postby Urkki » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:27 am

Since lag hit the event...and people missed my speech, which you all wanted to hear...Here it is. (More or less how it was performed during event)

Thank you all for coming. Before I say who won and what I'd like to say few words.

*takes few notes from pocket and coughs*

The judging process was difficult, pretty much every entry could have been a winner of big prize.

If it were up to me, Valornian libraries would be full of new books.

*looks at another note*

Ale. More ale. Korungas...wait, this is shopping list. Not quite sure how it got here. *nods and swaps to another note*

Right. We chose one winner for Literature: fiction and non-fiction and one winner for Howto and guide books.

Obviously it's a matter of opinion - someone else could have liked some other book better. Not to worry, everyone with an entry will win something.

Except members of 22, their entries haven't been judged for the contest, even though I liked them.

*swaps to another note*

The winners for each category get to choose from list of prizes...and whatever is left will be raffled and given to other writers of excellent books.

Now...the winner of Literature: fiction and non-fiction -category...

Boy Svalbard with 'Chaos in the Crags'

And winner of Howto and guide books -category...

...Vardian with 'Treasures of Trinald'

Here are the prizes:

Amulet of order
Amulet of order
Amulet of order
Treasure box
Treasure box
Golden Age WeaponMod - Weightless
Golden Age WeaponMod - Light +1
10 000 HP potions
20 000 Power potions

Vardian and Boy get to pick and rest will be raffled.

Congratulations Boy and Vardian. Thank you all for participating.

Boy picked his...so we'll wait for Vardian and then raffle rest.
Last edited by Urkki on Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Boy Svalbard
New Adventurer

Postby Boy Svalbard » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:46 am

Thank you Urkki! It was a wonderful contest. And congratulations to everyone who submitted entries -- I thought they were all REALLY good.

asrai
Adventurer

Postby asrai » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:40 am

Congratulations everyone :D

Hojo Musachi
I talk WAY too much

Postby Hojo Musachi » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:12 pm

Congratulations to the winners and thank you Urkki, Azure, Asrai and everyone else that participated.

"I'm afraid, Isoyami, I have probably already said more than was bought by the Knight's kiss " - Shaerih

vardian
Experienced Adventurer

Postby vardian » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:30 pm

Absolutely stunned! So many great ideas! Purazon could be kept busy for weeks reading that lot....

Thanks again Urkki - good times.
Your bullets cannot harm me - my wings are like a shield of steel!

Return to “Contest and Event Planning”